Thursday, August 25, 2016

Flowers of Tivoli

Tivoli is situated to the east of Rome, this area was popular from ancient times onward with Rome's moneyed classes, who built summer retreats in the area.
Villa d'Este built in 16 century occupies a stretch of hillside below Tivoli with spectacular views over the plain towards Rome. The most striking part of the Villa d'Este is its terraced garden with shady trees, fountains and plants.
Maybe some of you, my friends, have been to Villa d'Este or have seen the film 'Three coins in the Fountain' and will recognize the garden's places.
When I had been strolling in the Villa, went out to the balcony of grand facade and saw the gardens. It came as a sudden surprise. I'd seen a number of paths and stairs that led down through the slopes to fountains surrounded by shrub roses and irises, citrus trees with ripening oranges and lemons, calla blooming in fountains.
Now I want to show you pictures that you would be able to imagine beauty of gardens, to hear a sound of cold running water. 

 



I liked numerous plants that flowered there in May, because the weather was not yet hot and bright greenness decorated fountains and alleys.
Many climbing roses grew along the warm southern walls of the villa. This early flowering surprised me, because we have no roses in bloom in May. The scent of roses was felt from a distance.

 
During this May week-day gardeners were doing their job with trucks, shovels and shears. They were picking up fallen leaves and wilted flowers, trimming lawns, cleaning garbage off the fountains. The most valuable varietal potted roses were directly put in urns. I liked how gardeners carefully treated plants.


I've read a lot about the gardens of the Villa De Este in Tivoli, and decided to go there no matter what kind of weather would be.
Tivoli is easy to reach from Rome, and the Villa D'Este is a two-minutes' walk from the bus stop. I was lucky with the weather, it was warm enough without wind and rain. The trip in a local bus was pleasant too so that nothing has spoiled great impression of the fountains and flowers. 

Here is my video about gardens of Villa D'Este:

 

38 comments:

  1. Beautiful! The Calalilies and irises make me so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely gardeb and your video shows very dramatic use of water features.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I tried to retain water noise making this video. The sound of falling water was amazing.

      Delete
  3. This garden I want to visit for a long time. T hanks for sharing the video. It shows so much of the whole atmosphere in the garden. It was a real treat! Groetjes Hetty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Hetty, I'm sure one day you visit Villa D'Este.

      Delete
  4. Excellent tour. Thanks for the photos. I love everything Italian. Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jack, it was very interesting tour.

      Delete
  5. I don't have a big enough adjective to reflect how beautiful this garden is via your photos. Thank you for sharing because it sure makes a gardener want to get back outside and do some more work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, Judy gardeners work very hard in Villa D'Este garden, there are many plants and flowers. I liked some ideas there and want to realize them in my garden.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful garden! Nice place! Greetings! :))

    xxBasia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Nadezda, You have made a lovely video. The sound and sight of fountains and waterfalls is wonderful! Such a beautifully laid out garden - beautiful roses, iris and I could almost smell the orange blossom! Thank you for taking us with you to this wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I think those gardens were featured in a show my wife watches. It looks very familiar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These gardens of Villa D'Este are well known and popular. It's not surprisingly that your wife watched then on TV, Larry.

      Delete
  9. What a pleasure to visit these gardens with you, to hear the water and see the fountains. They look like a peaceful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really a pleasure, Juliet, I was wanting to see this place a long ago.

      Delete
  10. So much beauty everywhere - it's a gorgeous place. And yet we can draw some inspiration to our much smaller and less impressive gardens. :)
    Thank you for the great photos, Nadezda, and special thanks for the video. I seldom watch videos in blog posts, but I loved yours. It made me almost feel I was there. Wonderful.
    Have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very lovely and picturesque garden, you're right. I'm glad Sara you liked my video. I'm not a professional :0, but I try to make my videos mixing sounds, pictures and music.

      Delete
  11. I am really sorry now that I didn't visit Villa d'Este when I was in Rome 10 years ago. I didn't have much time in Rome and I only visited the Colosseum and the Pantheon and a couple of museums, and I really wished I'd done something else. Your video helped me see what I'd missed. The water is particularly beautiful but I also love the layout of the design. May is such a beautiful month in England that normally I don't travel anywhere else in that month if I can help it -but your pictures are tempting too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jenny this garden deserves to be visited, you're right. All water features are interesting.

      Delete
  12. What an amazing garden! I loved all of the detail that you captured in your video. Thank you for sharing your travels with us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photographs. I love the roses and irises.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Nadezda! I am returning from taking the summer off the computer and being in the garden instead. I hope your summer was wonderful. I love these pictures of this Italian garden :) The wall of fountains is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're with us, blogging, Rosemary!
      Yes, the wall of 100 fountains is well known because of many films where it was filmed. Thank you!

      Delete
  15. So beautiful Nadezda, I have been to Villa d´Este years ago but it was end of October, so end of the season and few flowers. I so enjoyed your post to see the wonderful architecture with flowering roses and Irises.
    Regards, Janneke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. the impression of one's visit depends on the season, you're right Janneke. Glad you liked this place as well.

      Delete
  16. What a peaceful spot! I could imagine the smells and sounds through your photos. Once again, as is the case with most of your blog posts, I'd love to just sit there for a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice and interesting place, Mary Anne. Maybe one day your family would visit it too. Thank you!

      Delete
  17. Hello Dear Nadezda
    I am glad that you had good weather and fulfilled your dreams.
    The beautiful garden and stunning flowers.
    Thank you very much. They returned to my memories.
    Lovely photos.
    Kisses and greetings.
    Have a nice weekend.
    Lucja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's nice you recollected your visit to Villa d'Este, Lucja.
      Wish you a nice weekend too!

      Delete
  18. That's a beautiful place !!! It would be great to visit this garden, maybe someday !
    Thank you for the beautiful photo of your trip !
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  19. Three Coins in a Fountain was a wonderful movie and I've been lucky enough to visit once. I love water of all kinds, and these are beautiful for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by Nadezda's Northern Garden blog!
I'm glad to read your friendly comments very much.
Feel free to comment on the posts or photos
I warmly welcome the new followers on my blog.