Sunday, March 26, 2017

Pastel Paintings by Richard Savoie

Today I want to introduce you to Richard Savoie, one of Canada's most prominent artists in the Pastel technique. His works can be found in private collections all over the world.

Savoie was born June 13, 1959 in Moncton, Canada. Now he lives and works in Montreal. 
Pastel is a drawing or painting done with a soft, chalk-like pastel "stick" composed of powdered pigments held together with an aqueous gum binder. In appearance, the pastel stick essentially looks like a piece of chalk, although it is actually somewhat softer and smoother.

Here are summer landscapes and city views, and his winter series "Christmas Nocturne".
His paintings of snowy Canadian winter are characterized by a unique color composition: a combination of muted red and warm, pale orange shades to paint a cold landscape. It seems that Richard Savoie's paintings are filled with special light.

 

Even in early childhood, Richard's mother discovered his talent and proposed him to study drawing. He was inspired by the beautiful scenery around him. 
However, Richard had no serious plans for the artist's career so far, has not yet tried to paint pastels. He began to study it and supported by Fernand Thibault became a real master of pastel






Due to the rare natural instinct Richard Savoie learned to create a truly living pictures. 
He is subject to the real magic of colors and shades.
Watching the pictures I was specially impressed by his wintry landscapes.  
Did you know this talented artist? What of Savoie's works did you like?








35 comments:

  1. I like the wintry scenes the best. I like the pools of light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's well said, Sue: pools of light. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Such a wonderful post, dear Nadezda! And the paintings are just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them all, but perhaps the number 8 would be my favourite. I'd love to live in a town like that. :)
    I hadn't heard of this painter before. His wintry town scenes are lovely. It's interesting how wet the snow looks... it's not very cold there. :)
    Thank you for sharing. Have a great week ahead!
    PS I hope you can visit Jyväskylä again. It's a nice little town. I do hope Harju still looks like in my photos. There were plans of cutting some trees...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very right Sara, the snow looks wet. When weather is wet the snow keeps lying on branches.
      I love visiting Finnish towns and cities, love your beautiful nature.

      Delete
  4. I did not know about this talented artist so thank you very much for sharing these beautiful pieces of art. I really like them all, but the 5th photo from the top call out to me through the cold and the dark. Beautiful. On a housekeeping note, I wish I could receive notice when you have a new post, but for some reason Wordpress/Blogspot don't work together for me. Once I find a new post, it usually takes me three times at least to leave a comment. I know they compete for bloggers, but they should understand once we find a blogging friend we aren't really concerned what platform they are on and just want to support them. Hope life is good for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Judy. Picture #5 - the very welcoming lit house and the road calling you ahead. I like it too.
      I know this problem, Judy and I always write you when I have a new post. Blogspot often changes and now I have your site address in my blog list. Yes, Wordpress/Blogspot don't work together for all.

      Delete
  5. Oh Nadezda!
    All pictures are beautiful. I have the impression that these are pictures.
    Thank you so much that I could see them.
    Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucja, the first impression is these are photos, but looking attentively at them you understand they are paintings. Savoie's works are accurate.

      Delete
  6. It is good that the painter's mom discovered his artistic abilities. Pictures are beautiful and there is something to admire. * Krakow I recommend to visit and I think you would be delighted. Regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Giga, his mother did her best. Thanks for your advice, dear, Krakow is the beautiful city!

      Delete
  7. Once and for all the wonderful work! I've never heard of him. Thanks for Nadezda when you introduced him. Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful work of art!!! Beautiful!!! :))

    xxBasia

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are lovely pictures, full of atmosphere and colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colors are unique and his pastel techniques are unusual, Jenny.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for sharing these beautiful pieces of artwork Nadezda. He is truly a talented artist and I admire his use of lighting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he is, Lee. Glad you admire these paintings.

      Delete
  11. Lovely images! Thank you for continuing to introduce us to these wonderful artists and for sharing the joy of beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The atmosphere of these painting are so chanting! Thanks for sharing. Groetjes Hetty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Hetty, glad you liked Savoie's art.

      Delete
  13. I also have a preference for the Wintry scenes which are truly magical.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I admire all these paintings !! This artist really is talented!!
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  15. Boa tarde, pinturas maravilhosas só possível serem pitadas por um grande artista, as mesmas mostram o que parece ser real ao ponto de me transportar para dentro do quadro.
    AG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Estoy de acuerdo Antonio, estas pinturas son del artista talentoso.

      Delete
  16. Gran artista!!! Refleja muy bien la naturaleza en todas las estaciones del año.
    Preciosos cuadros Nadezda.
    Buen jueves.
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Estoy contenta que te gustaron los cuadros, Laura.
      Buen fin de semana!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by Nadezda's Northern Garden blog!
I'm glad to read your friendly comments very much.
Feel free to comment on the posts or photos
I warmly welcome the new followers on my blog.