Monday, May 15, 2017

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day, Mid-May

This year spring is cold here and it seems that only the most courageous plants can bloom at temperature 
0°...+2 C (30 ..38 F ) at nighttime. These days coming to my garden I try to find some new sprouts, opened buds, new blooms, flowering berry bushes.
However it's a Garden Bloggers Bloom Day, dear fellows. Although this spring is late, I show you plants and flowers that dared to blossom in the warmest and windless places of my garden. Here are primrose, their white and dark red small flowers appeared around large stones heated by the sun.


I must say new leaves and sprouts popped on berry bushes too, but the fruit trees are behind, still without greenness.  There are blackcurrant, redcurrant and gooseberry bushes in my garden.



Here are blackcurrant bushes, love their berries, especially in winter and below are



redcurrant bushes, their bunches of buds give tasty berries, I love them in jelly. The other bushes are gooseberry, look at their thorns, br br. I hate them but...the berries are sweet and juicy.


In the flowerbed near my garden barn the first hyacinths are blossoming,  they are protected from the north wind here. While I see the blue and pink, I planted white ones too, so I'll wait when they appear.



Near the patio behind the summer cottage wall the first tulips started blooming, yesterday when I took photos they had not yet opened their heads.
 

My new rhododendrons varieties 'New Zembla' and 'Cunningham White' are healthy, with buds, hopefully they will in bloom soon.


The little blue Chionodoxa is blooming second week in spite of the cold weather and north wind. Its bright blue flowers are seen everywhere.


Every spring low bulbous irises (Xiphium latifolium) appear next to tulips near the patio. And although they quickly fade, it's nice to see their dark blue or purple flowers with light bristles.
If you're not tired let's take a look at my greenhouse. Here are the plants transported last week. As you see they are well, even clematis 'President' continues flowering - what a nice flower!


New fresh sorrel grows there too, I'll cook sorrel soup soon :-)

I have some plans to redesign the front garden. There were two flower beds, one with Ligularias and another one was a small rock garden. There is an empty spot sowed with grass seeds instead of Ligularia. 


The renovation idea isn't yet materialized. I'm just thinking. Maybe you have any ideas or advice?

Since the first flowers appeared in mid-May, this means that the spring is too late here. Hopefully by the end of May more tulips, daffodils, hyacinths will blossom and bring the feeling that spring, although very short, has come to my garden. 
Has your garden blossomed now or is lagging this year? What plants did you like in May?
Have you new plans about your garden?


51 comments:

  1. Our fruit blossom has all fallen now and fruit has set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your garden is ahead of mine northern, Sue.

      Delete
  2. I do not have a garden and I am not good with flowers or plants. I am much better with animals. :) Your photos are absolutely gorgeous! My favourite flowers are lilacs, lilies, poppies, orchids and hibiscus, but I love all flowers and gardens! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love orchids as well, Linda. They are indoors plants here.

      Delete
  3. Preciosas plantas de tu jardín! Es curioso, aquí acabó la floración y ahí comienza. La primavera se toma sus tiempos en nuestros respectivos países.
    Buena semana Nadezda! Abrazos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Es verdad, Tania. La primavera pasa por todos paises y la floracion empieza aqui y alli.
      Abrazos!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful Spring Signs ;-) We've updated the flower bed today, pretty hard work! Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand you Anne, it's hard work. In my case with rock garden the boulders are heavy :(

      Delete
  5. Everything looks beautiful - a real rainbow of colors. :-) I always have plans but sometimes they work and sometimes not so much. I've been trying to figure out how to scale back a couple of beds but haven't figured out how to do it and have it work out so I can appreciate your thinking about what to do with your project. I love rocks, any rocks, but they are challenging to keep the weeds from sprouting right next to them. I will look forward to seeing how your plan comes out. Cold here today and then the temps are rising 45 degrees the end of the week. We have had one crazy May.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Judy, this May is crazy. This week I want my tender plants to put out to the garden from the greenhouse, temps are going up. So my project is yet in my head.

      Delete
  6. Se ven todas preciosas, todas me gustan. Muchos besos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden is looking very spring-like Nadezda and the purple iris and blue Chionodoxa are so lovely. Happy Bloom Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lee, happy belated Bloom day to you!

      Delete
  8. Sorrel soup is tasty! We also use young nettles in soup. Do you have this tradition aswell?
    My garden is filled with hyacinths at the moment and garden tulips are about to bloom any day now too! I think May is mainly for tulips in my garden.
    I don't have very big plans for my gardern in this summer, just to widen my Hosta Bed and grow some new dahlias. But I hope it will be a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you have many plans Tistou, so I wish you successful summer. I did not know about nettle soup, sorrel grows well, I cook soup and I freeze its leaves for winter time.

      Delete
  9. Is it not interesting how every garden is different on gbbd? I see spring is late, but think of what is ahead. I cant wait to see your new to plant garden. No advises, you can do it yourself I am sure! Groetjes Hetty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hetty, you're right, the decision must be mine. I have to count how difficult the maintenance is, what plants I have for this bed in sun or shade.

      Delete
  10. Wonderful, courageous flowers, Nadezda!
    Oh, you have planted a 'Cunningham's White'. I saw some in a nursery some days ago. Such a pretty flower, but I couldn't buy one, because it's not hardy enough for our climate.
    I did buy a gooseberry though. :) Its berries are indeed delicious.
    Thank you for your wonderful comment. Have a sunny week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gooseberry are sweet-sour, I love them too Sara. Have a nice week!

      Delete
    2. Hello again and thank you for your comment!
      Unfortunately -30C hardiness is not enough here.
      It's colder every winter, at least for some days. :(
      Greetings!

      Delete
  11. Very beautiful photos. I love gardens a lot. Have only balcony but every single year I try to create there my small garden. Few days ago I planted ornamental grass as I dream to have it in my small garden. Sorry for my English. I am learning hehe
    Greetings from Aga, from Poland :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Aga, sure your balcony is pretty with ornamental grasses.Thanks for stopping by my blog. Greetings!

      Delete
  12. Boa tarde, belas fotos da maravilhosa natureza, o jardim que visitou ofereço-lhe a oportunidade fotografar bem, lindas flores.
    AG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Antonio, es verdad la naturaleza es bella.

      Delete
  13. Hola Nadezca, preciosas fotos. A mi me gustan todas las plantas, pero la Chionodosa la tengo en mi jardín y sus flores son preciosas. Un saludo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A mi tambien me gusta Chionodosa, Lola. Gracias por visitar mi blog.
      Saludos!

      Delete
  14. Beautiful, especially all the blue spring bulbs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Uma imagem mais linda que a outra.
    Flores sempre serão belas.
    janicce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias por visitar mi blog, Janicce.
      Saludos!

      Delete
  16. Spring has been colder than usual here too but since our winters are much milder than yours, our blooms are earlier than yours. I wish you warmer temperatures and happy gardening! I'm happy to know that your plants all made it safely to your greenhouse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter, as the weather was getting warmer my plants were moved from the greenhouse to the garden,one by one. Dahlias and begonias have been planted in the soil and some of them in tubs.
      Happy weekend!

      Delete
  17. Daring to blossom! What brave and beautiful plants. Happy spring, Nadezda, and I hope it warms up soon for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does Juliet, new blossoms in my garden.
      Thank you, happy weekend!

      Delete
  18. Such lovely spring blooms! We are at least a month ahead of you here--my tulips are long gone, and we've been having very warm summer-like days instead. Hope the weather warms up for you so that you can enjoy working in the garden again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoy working in the garden, Rose because I wait for gardening all long winter.Sure your garden is pretty in bloom, your climate is warmer than mine.

      Delete
  19. Tutto si sta risvegliando!! E che quantità di gemme! Bellissime!

    Un caro saluto :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Si, pontos, todo vive, florece, estamos en primavera. Gracias!

      Delete
  20. Hello Nadezda, great spring photos!
    Have a lovely weekend!
    Sweet greetings!:))

    xxBasia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Basia!
      Glad you like my photos, thanks.

      Delete
  21. Your care is great. Plants are pleased. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are, roughterrain crane. Greetings!

      Delete
  22. Hi Nadezda,
    I love Chionodoxa blooming! Your spring garden looks beautiful:) Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Keity.
      I'm glad you're blogging now, have a nice week!

      Delete
  23. Feliz fim de semana junto ás maravilhosas tulipas.
    AG

    ReplyDelete
  24. Me encantan esos lirios lilas !!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by Nadezda's Northern Garden blog!
I'm glad to read your friendly comments very much.
Feel free to comment on the posts or photos
I warmly welcome the new followers on my blog.