Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Saxifraga



Planting a rocky place near the pond, I wanted to grow an unusual and beautiful plant there. So I noticed that Saxifraga is an excellent choice.
Its small, simple leaves and small, elegant flowers bring a unique look to any garden. It is a flowering plant with 5-petalled flowers that are usually white, red, pink, or yellow. Their flowers are either round or star-shaped. They form a compact cushion or mat, and they flower from spring to early summer. My saxifraga has creamy flowers.


I learned that Saxifraga is a part of the Arctic alpine ecosystems and is rarely grown anywhere except in the Northern Hemisphere. Arctic- Alpine plants often grow in a subarctic climate, especially in the Alps. Some grow in glacial places in the Alps and Greenland.



Growing a Saxifraga plant is not difficult. I placed them between the stones on the western side of the pond in partial shade. They are also suitable for raised beds, pots and containers or in an alpine garden.


But if you have some plants of Saxifraga, you can divide them in the early spring,  as I made with the plants my neighbor gave me. You don’t need to prune flowers. Just trim off the flower heads after they’ve faded. Pests aren’t usually a concern, as the Saxifraga is typically disease-free.



18 comments:

  1. I like the delicate little flowers on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really a very lovely combination. Your little Saxifraga is a sweet little one. Have to put it on my list.
    Happy days and all my best
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saxifraga is good in any corner where you plant it and forget. One day you see its little flowers, Elizabeth.

      Delete
  3. I didn't know the plant, how beautiful it is and it is specatular in combination with all the other plants around the pond.
    Hugs and all the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Maria. It does well to other plants.

      Delete
  4. great plant with beautiful flowers.
    thank you for sharing about this plant, I didn't know before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bom dia parabéns por nos apresentar um pouco da natureza do seu país. As plantas são muito lindas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patjarikko eli saxifraga on ihastuttava kasvi ja sitä löytyy minunkin puutarhastani. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you grow saxifraga as well. Sure it is pretty.
      Hugs!

      Delete
  7. I have all kinds of saxifrage growing all over the garden. It’s such an easy ground cover and will quickly spread over a large area. The pretty little flowers are a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Friko, I know your garden is beautiful and well maintained.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for sharing the details about this plant.
    I enjoyed your photographs too.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your saxifraga. In danish it is called Porcelænsblomst = Porcelain flower.
    Regards Lisbeth

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by Nadezda's Northern Garden blog!
I'm glad to read your friendly comments very much.
Feel free to comment on the posts or photos
I warmly welcome the new followers on my blog.