Sunday, September 12, 2021

Silverberry (Elaeagnus Argentea) In My Garden


 
I will tell you a story about this plant in my garden. 
Several years ago I heard on TV a story about a Silverberry and it was said that "it can drain the river." I wondered if I should buy this plant. I had no intention of draining the river, but there was a small swamp in the garden area. I wanted the soil in the garden to be dry and suitable for other plants.
 

 
Soon I bought a little silverberry in the Garden Center. The seller said that it is an invasive plant, but that did not stop me. So the silverberry appeared in the garden and was planted in the middle of a small swamp. Poor fellow! It did not know that it had to drain a swamp and suffered in  for several years. Silverberry did not grow and remained the same small. Then I realized that it urgently needed to be transplanted to a good place, sunny and dry. 
 
Wiki: 'Silverberry (Elaeagnus Argentea) is a deciduous shrub or small tree, with simple, often silvery-scaled leaves. Yellowish-white scented flowers appear in late spring, followed in autumn by silvery fruit'. 
 

 
Silverberry quickly began to grow and bloomed in small yellow and very fragrant flowers the next spring. 
A few years later, I transplanted him again, and again it was unsuccessful. The fact was that next to it there were chokeberry bushes that took away moisture and nutrients in the soil from Silverberry. 
Last year, all chokeberry bushes were cut down.
 


 
Silverberry feels good now when other plants don't bother it. After flowering, small silvery fruit appeared on its branches in August. That is why the bush got its common name. 
 
 
 
 
I love Silverberry and often passing by I touch its silvery leaves.




37 comments:

  1. You have been very patient and I hope that your beautiful bush will not be invasive now that it thrives.
    Lisbeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not invasive in our climate Lisbeth. Too cold winter.

      Delete
  2. Hi Nadezda,

    I have never seen this plant here, but it's very beautiful. Silvery leaves is very pretty in the garden.
    Have a nice Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes its leaves are pretty and it's well pruned, Marit.
      Hugs.

      Delete
  3. I am happy that you finally found a way for it to succeed, Nadezda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boa tarde Nadezda. Não conhecia essa planta. Seus frutos são comestíveis?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nadezda,
    You finally found the right spot for your pretty Silverberry.
    Hugs and all the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did Maria. It's look pretty in new spot.

      Delete
  6. It looks like you found the right place for your Silverberry. I have not used this plant so I looked it up. It’s native to the Americas and is an alternative to invasive Russian Olive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not known Russian olive, Lee. So I watched it on YouTube video. I believe the leaves of Silverberry are wide and of Russian olive are narrow. That's the difference.

      Delete
  7. È una pianta molto bella che purtroppo è poco conosciuta. Difficilissima da trovare nei vivai, dovrebbe essere usata di più qui da noi :) Grazie per averla fatta vedere :)

    Un caro saluto e un augurio di ottima fine estate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gabriel, you're right Silverberry is not often in the nursery. It's really decorative bush.
      All the best!

      Delete
  8. Hola Nadezda, que planta tan hermosa
    la verdad nunca la había visto.

    Besitos dulces

    Siby

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an interesting and beautiful plant and your story is truly inspiring.
    Happy autumn days! Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hola Nadezda, es un arbolito precioso y que no conocía. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lola, este arbusto no es popular, pero es bastante hermoso.
      Un abrazo!

      Delete
  11. Que buena información nos has dejado Nadezda.No lo conocía Amiga. Es precioso.
    Te deseo un buen jueves.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Laura, esta es una hermosa planta, estoy de acuerdo.
      Besos.

      Delete
  12. It looks like the bush was not so invasive and even more: it has such a pleasant fragrance.
    Great addition to your garden, Nadezda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Irina. It wasn't invasive at all.
      Hugs!

      Delete
  13. Hello Nadezda ! I have never heard of this plant/tree before ... the leaves and berries are very pretty !
    I am glad you finally have it in the right place and can enjoy it ... Autumn is coming ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plant is in the right place, you're right, Joy. Yesterday I put up a thick support to tie my Silverberry before it snows.
      Hugs!

      Delete
  14. Se ve muy bonito, tampoco lo conocía. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola, Teresa. Esto es una planta decorativa.
      Un abrazo.

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Drainage was done later, Sue and no swamp now.

      Delete
  16. The bush is very beautiful. I am charmed by its leaves.
    Hugs and greetings.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by Nadezda's Northern Garden blog!
I'm glad to read your friendly comments very much.
Feel free to comment on the posts or photos
I warmly welcome the new followers on my blog.