Thursday, December 8, 2022

St. John's Church, Helsinki, Finland

In October I was in Helsinki, Finland. As I was walking down the street, this monumental building caught my attention. Its high spires were painted green and harmonized beautifully with the yellowing foliage of the park around the church. I liked this beautiful church and was interested in its history, so took pictures to show you.

I found out that St. John's church is the largest stone church in Finland by seating capacity. The church was built between 1888 and 1891, the third Lutheran church in Helsinki, and still the biggest.


The church stands on a hill that for many centuries had been a place for Midsummer bonfires. The church was designed by the Swedish architect Melander in the Gothic Revival style. St John’s Church was built with a central nave and two aisles.

 


 
 

The church was last renovated before its centennial in 1991. At that time the basement of the church was redesigned as a crypt.

 

The twin towers are 74 meters in height, and the church seats 2,600 people, it has excellent acoustics, and it is therefore used for big concerts and events as well as services.

 

Next to the main entrance of the church is a statue of John the Baptist, installed in 2003. 

I hope you also liked this architectural structure.

 

Here is my video: sea foam 

 


All the best!


 

28 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful church, Nadezda, and the high spires are very impressive.
    Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the interesting photos, Nadezda!
    Gothic (in any form) is not my favourite style but I must admit St. John's is a very beautiful church. :)
    Your watercolours are lovely. <3
    Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked my post, Sara. Thank you, all the best!

      Delete
  3. Me ha encantado Nadezda y las pinturas también. Un abrazo y feliz tarde.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Teresa, me alegre que te gustan mis pituras.

      Delete
  4. A beautiful structure indeed, no doubt inspirational to many people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful church, so huge. The architecture is really awesome.
    I saw your video full of stunninng paintings. I love to paint, this is my main passion, I dissapear when I paint...then I am in my paintings. :D
    All the best for you, I think of you. Sending you much love. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear, I'd like to see your painting as well. Thank you for thinking, I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  6. Boa tarde e bom final de semana minha querida amiga Nadezda. As fotos da Igreja ficaram muito lindas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Надежда, какая красота!!! Я была в Хельсинки проездом. Один день. Мы только обощли центр. Я видела эту церковь, но не во всех подробностях. Да и давно это было. Словно в прошлой жизни.
    А картины Ваши великолепны. Да ещё с такой прекрасной музыкой! Спасибо за усладу для души и для глаз.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Мне тоже понравилась эта великолепная церковь, Лола. Приятно, что вы как музыкант оцениваете музыкальное сопровождение к моему видео. Это Гендель "На реке".

      Delete
    2. Надежда, Вы тоже музыкант? В любом случае, Вы любите классическую музыку и разбраетесь в ней.

      Delete
    3. Я люблю классическую музыку и знаю много произведений, Лола. К сожалению, брать уроки музыки в послевоенные годы было не просто.

      Delete
  8. Hi Nadezda,
    Imposing and beautiful church.
    I am always delighted with your watercolors, they are all fantastic.
    Hugs and all the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, this church is wonderful, I agree. Wish you happy week.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Me alegre que te gusta mi publicacion, Judit. Un abrazo.

      Delete
  10. Me encantó esta entrada Nadezda. Las fotos preciosas e impresionantes esas torres. Que bonita tu espuma de mar y los colores de otoño.Gracias
    Te deseo buena noche.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Querida Laura, me alegro que te haya gustado mi post, esta iglesia es hermosa e impresionante.

      Delete
  11. This is a powerful and imposing church. To me it looks strangely like an English Victorian church although some of the details are different. I am trying to imagine it being as large as a cathedral, and thinking how imposing it must be. I was wondering if the roof is painted green or if it could possibly be made with copper, it is a similar beautiful green colour to copper roofs I have seen which have anodised (I think that is the right expression) but it looks very clean. I always think of the atmosphere in Finland as being very clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what the roof is made of, Jenny. These green colored spiers caught my attention in the city. I agree that there are details of the Victorian church in the church architecture, especially the round facade.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by Nadezda's Northern Garden blog!
I'm glad to read your friendly comments very much.
Feel free to comment on the posts or photos
I warmly welcome the new followers on my blog.