Tuesday, November 18, 2014

The Drottningholm Royal Palace and Park

Late autumn, the weather is cold and rainy here, sometimes is sleet. At such moments I recollect the warm and sunny days of this year. These memories are always pleasant and especially nice to look at the photos.
Today I want to tell you about my visit to the Drottningholm Royal Park in Stockholm, Sweden. It was September warm afternoon. 



Despite of St. Petersburg and Stockholm are not so far away and nature is very similar.  There are a lot of cliffs and bays, small islands and lakes in Sweden. On one of the small islands the Drottningholm Royal palace and the park is located. The palace was originally built in the late 16th century, served as a residence of the Swedish royal court. Apart from being the private residence of the Swedish royal family, it's a popular tourist attraction.


The palace has been the permanent residence of the present Royal family since 1981. In 1991 Drottningholm was the first Swedish attraction put on UNESCO’s list of World Heritage Sites.


The oldest part of the gardens a Baroque garden flanked by thick tree avenues was created right outside the main palace at the end of the 17th century. There are many statues scattered throughout this area. Later the Baroque garden was neglected along with the rest of the grounds and was restored in the 1950s -60s.

 
A large terrace adjoins to the palace. I saw dahlias, asters, red leaved perennials planted at the other side of terrace wall. 


In the park a few urns of flowers were set, they were decorated with royal symbols.



There are many big and small fountains in the center of the front garden. All trees and bushes were pruned, they reminded me artificial installations.


Then I noticed other wall that completes a front part of the park, along which small waterfalls are set. I liked their design and a pool shape.


I think you're surprised that visitors of the park are not visible, it's because the palace and the park is the permanent residence of the present Royal family and the tourists may walk along certain paths of the park.

I've made the video about this park:




To be continued....

32 comments:

  1. What a wonderful place ! I am delighted with the beauty of the garden. It would be nice to visit !
    Nadezda, thank you for sharing these fantastic photos !
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure one day you can visit this place. The park is not far from your place, Ela. Only cross the Baltic sea :))
      Thank you1

      Delete
  2. wonderful tour

    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^= . <3 . >< } } (°>


    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post Nadezda. You always take us to some beautiful gardens and parks which we may not have the chance to visit ourselves. Thankyou. P x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Nadezda,what a lovely place to visit!
    The palace is so beautiful and the gardens,too!
    Such preety flowers!
    I really enjoyed your video!What a beauty!
    Have a lovely week!
    Dimi...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the video about this park. I hope the music goes well to the pictures. Thank you Dimi!

      Delete
  5. Wow, yet another place I need to visit someday :) thank you as always Nadezda for introducing us to such incredible places!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for such a nice tour of this lovely place. I'm impressed with your video. I've never tried to make one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked my video, Peter. I use VideoStudio program and I loved to make videos with it.
      Thank you!

      Delete
  7. This is a gorgeous place and the gardens are amazing. You really have shown them off well. And I love those urns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I , Donna! They are of interesting shape, something of a pan:))
      Thank you!

      Delete
  8. Buena recomendación amiga. El lugar es precioso, pudistes hacer buenas fotos no había gente.
    Que bien han vivivo y viven siempre los reyes.
    Buen miércoles.
    Un beso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha,ha Laura! Tienes razon, los reyes siempre viven muy bien.
      Gracias!

      Delete
  9. Great pictures. Reminds me quite a bit of Versailles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very right, Jason! I think as well, this park looks like French baroque park.

      Delete
  10. A great post about a beautiful royal palace and garden Nadezda. Looking forward to the second part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do write the second part, Janneke, thank you!

      Delete
  11. Nadezda, oh there beautifully.
    I do not know of Stockholm. I'd love to get to know the city.
    Maybe next year?
    Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe next year, Lucja! Sure you will like this palace and park.

      Delete
  12. It is very beautiful! You gave me an excellent idea for what to do next in Stockholm! I plan to go in coming spring as I already have free tickets to the ferry.
    Thank you and have a nice weekend!
    BTW, it is snowing today in Tallinn! First snow! Very refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you will able to go to Stockholm and to see Drottningholm park, Tistou!

      Delete
  13. How lucky you were Nadezda to do so much travelling this year! I'd love to travel to Sweden someday! What a grand palace and grounds.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful gardens an palace - I would say a nice place to call "home". Thanks for the tour and the posting today. I do enjoy seeing this kind of thing both the garden and the buildings - very nice. Jack

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the palace and that warm yellow colour it is. Clever you to make the video. The fountains are everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm always happy to see these huge estates are being maintained. I can't imagine properties like this will ever be built again. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by Nadezda's Northern Garden blog!
I'm glad to read your friendly comments very much.
Feel free to comment on the posts or photos
I warmly welcome the new followers on my blog.