Saturday, November 1, 2014

The Royal Kew: Rock Garden and Plots


The Rock garden is large and impressive. Sure some of you who have been to  this garden remember it. The shapes of stones surprised me, I used to see round granite stones and there I saw big limestone plates. They were covered with greenness: trees, bushes, flowers grew everywhere


I've read that this Rock Garden is home to alpines and Mediterranean climate plants from around the world. Rock gardens show a variety of habitats of different plants.


The Kew Rock Garden, with its pools, streams and seven waterfalls is wonderful. The sound of falling water was heard everywhere.

 
A stream and waterfall is in the Asian Section and I think these conditions are perfect for moisture-loving plants.
I also liked nice pines and other conifers, light yellow and dark red leaved spireas, bright purple crocus.


Autumn crocus, allisum, herbs and red flowers grew within the limestone plates.

 
It's amazing that such a renowned Kew garden allocates plots for the students so that they can grow themselves and learn about plants. This part of the garden is not well known to tourists, so I wanted to see what the students grow in these vegetable plots.

 

I've learned that three-year Kew Diploma offers broad-based training in amenity and botanical horticulture. Every first year student is allocated a vegetable plot which they must maintain for one season. Soil must be dug, seeds be sown, and a whole variety of fruit and vegetables be grown to the highest of standards.


Each month, battling against the grey skies and army of pigeons, they produce the quality vegetables.
The plots are assessed every month on a variety of criteria including range of crops, crop protection, tidiness and overall health of the crops.


It was interesting to see the professional works in creating rock garden and the students' plots such well maintained with growing veggies. What do you think about students' plot in Kew Gardens?

Thank you for your comments I love to read and they are appreciated!


36 comments:

  1. Very well maintained, everything looks so lush and green. Wonderful photos Nadezda, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just imagine hauling those rocks into place even with mechanical help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a heavy work to haul the rocks Sue but the result is beautiful.

      Delete
  3. I think the students plots are wonderful and so good that the powers that be at Kew have made provision for the students to learn and grow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The water fall is so interesting! And the vegetable plot really inspiring! A perfect garden... thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another interesting and beautiful post about Kew Gardens. The rock garden is wonderful, like the autumn crocuses. And how well maintained are the student plots, even these are a feast for the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Janneke, the students have to maintain well their plots, if they want to be graduated.

      Delete
  6. I'm thoroughly enjoying your Kew posts Nadezda.
    Those rock gardens are just wonderful aren't they? I can't get over how tidy and immaculate those student beds are. What a good idea to have the 1st year students do these, it must be a great way too learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure every Kew student must learn to be a gardener and the authority provide them this opportunity. Thank you Angie!

      Delete
  7. Hermosos los jardines.Naturaleza y vida unidas y regalando cosas buenas!!
    Buena iniciativa para los estudiantes, los huretos de ven estupendos.
    Buena semana.
    Un beso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Si estoy de acuerdo Laura, es una buena oportunidad para los estudiantes.

      Delete
  8. Love these rock gardens! The student plots are interesting, too--so tidy. Perhaps I would have a tidier garden if I knew I was going to be graded on them:) I've enjoyed your posts from Kew, Nadezda. I'm not sure I left a comment on the last one, but that walkway is amazing. I'm not sure my knees would hold up to walking up all those stairs, but the view would certainly be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose, one who can't walk up the stairs can use lift! It's so comfortable for visitors!

      Delete
  9. An amazing trip through your post, Nadezda. Everything is impressive. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, that's a gorgeous place ! I love the stones in the garden. It looks fantastic in combination with greenery !
      Greetings

      Delete
  10. Oh how lovely to see the rock garden at Kew again, I used to go there regularly but haven’t been for nearly 10 years and the rock garden was one of my favourites! I think they have made the main waterfall bigger since I last saw it, I suppose they change things all the time. I remember being there on a VERY cold February day, crawling around on the ground, photographing snowdrops – that was before I had any snowdrops in my own garden :-)
    I guess winter is on its way to your garden soon, hope you can enjoy your garden for a bit longer. Take care, Helene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helene! I think the only very keen gardener could photograph snowdrops in a cold February day. Fortunately you grow many of them in your own garden now! Here we have strange weather: +10 C with rain and clouds, without sun. I have partly opened the plant covering, because no frost.
      Thank you!

      Delete
  11. Dear Nadezda the Roual gardens are so impressive indeed!
    What a beautiful place to visit!The waterfall looks amazing!
    Gorgeous pictures!I really enjoyed your post!
    Thank you for your kind comments on my posts!
    Wish you a happy week!
    Dimi...

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an impressive post, Nadezda! I've never known that there are grass garden, rock garden and students' plots! Love the rock garden with waterfall. I definitely want to go there. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree Keity, the Kew garden is very interesting!

      Delete
  13. A beautiful rock garden, I like the little waterfall especially. The vegetable garden I like even better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love rock gardens, and the sound of water everywhere must be so soothing. It's so interesting to see the students' plots too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those rocks really add to the beauty, don't they? Have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful! I wish I can have one in my garden in my future home.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never been to Kew but am hoping to visit in 2016. It looks like a gardeners paradise. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does Tammy. Sure you will love this famous garden.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by Nadezda's Northern Garden blog!
I'm glad to read your friendly comments very much.
Feel free to comment on the posts or photos
I warmly welcome the new followers on my blog.