Tuesday, December 7, 2021

December Snow

I don’t know what winter you have, but ours came immediately and in one day. Last week, a strong wind suddenly blew and drove snow clouds on us. The blizzard was named Benedict. A strange name, isn't it? The whole city was covered with a thick layer of snow. This disaster lasted two days. The next morning, it stopped, and thousands of cleaning vehicles began to collect snow and take it out of city. I went to my cottage to see and that's what I saw there. 

Last week I finally took the time to cover the roses with a special cloth. Now I'm glad they won't freeze. On the left is a floribunda rose under cover and under the snow. Howbeit, plants are better under the snow, because the forecast for the week is -10 C

A greenhouse (left photo) with a polycarbonate coating has proven itself well in past frosty winters. Raindrops are now frozen on its walls. But the inside is a little warmer than the outside. Young seedlings in pots overwinter in the greenhouse. Hopefully they will survive the winter.   
 

Some rowan trees still have berries. Birds will be able to replenish their vitamins on these frosty days. Red berries look beautiful on bare rowan branches. 
 

Father Frost did his job: the drops froze on the railing of the terrace and did not fall to the ground. A long icicle has formed next to the apple tree. I liked the shape - with a hole at the end. He also painted beautiful pictures on the barn windows.

 

Rhododendrons and  pine- niwaki winter well without any shelter. I had no problem with them last winters.

 

 Strange figures of bird feeders are on the right hand, aren't it? In the supermarket where I shop, customers are given a DIY kit for bird feeders. This is a set of seeds and a bag of gelatin. It is necessary to dissolve the gelatin in warm water, add the seeds and put to cool. Such gelatinous figures with seeds come out. 
I think these seeds will be a good addition for birds to rowan berries and snowberries.
Happy December to all of you! 
 
 

24 comments:

  1. We had snow too, but it only lasted two days. It is much better to have it like you because the plants are sheltered from frost. The ice flowers are beautiful, and the bird feeders are such a good idea. Together with the berries they will help the birds a lot.
    Greetings Lisbeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lisbeth, I believe that snow warms plants well during the cold season.
      The birds are happy that I have a lot of seeds in my garden, because the last days have been very frosty -17C.

      Delete
  2. Hi Nadezda,
    So strange that the snow blizzard was named Benedict. We have got snow too, and it's cold weather every day. I am glad that you feed the birds, and I feed them here too.
    Beautiful winter photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cold for birds in such frosty weather, I agree, Marit.
      We both take care of them, we hope they get through the winter.

      Delete
  3. The rowan tress have a bumper crop of berries here too. The winters are so mild these days that I hope they don't spoil before the birds get to them. I expect they prefer them frozen when the energy-rich sugars get concentrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know, David, that rowan berries are more useful for birds after frost. Now that the weather is very freezing, the birds will have a lot of sugar for lunch.

      Delete
  4. Dear Nadezda!
    Cold winter has come to you. Your photos are beautiful. I watch them with great pleasure.

    Hugs and greetings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lucja, the weather is cold so I can spend a little time outing.
      Glad you liked my photos.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful!!! I love snow at this time. You are doing so fine with the birds.
    All my best and happy days
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Elizabeth, the snow is beautiful. When I look out the window, the picture looks beautiful, but when I go out it gets cold and I need more clothes.

      Delete
  6. Our winter officially begins on December 21st, and the weather follows the official calendar :-)
    No snow yet, pretty warm, some roses are still blooming.
    But happy winter for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're in luck, Irina. I wish we had such weather, and my roses sleep under a shelter :-(
      All the best!

      Delete
  7. I especially like the two forest photos. I can hear the silence inside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nadezda,
    Wonderful photos, winter has completely settled there. Here (Lisbon) it doesn't snow and for now the weather is still mild (18º C) and today we even have a beautiful sunny day.
    I especially loved the photos of the frost on the windows, what amazing shapes it has.
    A Happy December for you too.
    Hugs and all the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a beauty a sunny day, Maria. I'd like to have such pleasant weather.
      Frost can draw many 'pictures' :-)
      All the best.

      Delete
  9. Bom final de semana minha querida amiga Nadezda.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by Nadezda's Northern Garden blog!
I'm glad to read your friendly comments very much.
Feel free to comment on the posts or photos
I warmly welcome the new followers on my blog.