Friday, September 19, 2014

Clematis of This Summer

            I want to tell you about my experience in clematis growth this summer and to think what has turned and what was unsuccessful.
In May, when clematis started to grow, I fed them 2 times with complete mineral fertilizer 15-15-15 (nitrogen-phosphorus-potassium). First buds and flowers appeared on Clematis "'Rouge Cardinal", which grow near Actinidia. Since there was a lot of fertilizer Actinidia began also to grow and bloom beautifully, it leaves turn pink (
second photo, on the right)




On other
trellis clematises "Jakmani" and "'Rouge Cardinal" grow together. I used to read that it was not recommended to plant clematis close to each other, because they do not have enough place to feed on. I do not know whether it is so but clematis "Jakmani" began to blossom much later, it fell behind by 3 weeks. 



I think there is nothing wrong with that: firstly one of them was flowering then they were blooming at the same time and finally when one withered the another continued to blossom, and a trellis was covered with flowers from July to early September.
The other three clematises were transplanted to a new place in last year fall. In the spring, none of them showed signs of life. I dug up their roots and made sure that they were still alive after the winter, but the buds and leaves did not grow. What could I do?
I started to intensively spray growth stimulator the roots and dry stems of clematis "President", "Justa" and "Miss Bateman". 

As a result, in early June, "President" began to grow but did not blossom at all. A light blue Clematis "Justa" grew very low, about 30 cm, bloomed beautiful blue flowers in August. A white Clematis "Miss Bateman" is very moody, it firstly rose very tall and had some large white flowers in mid-August.



I like clematis very much. What experience do I have?
I realized that it is not helpful to replant clematis in autumn before cold winter, it greatly weakens a plant. Also it's better to plant clematis in a distance each other. 
On the other hand if you have warm climate and warm winter without snow, you probably can replant clematis at any time. And if you have little space in the garden, you probably can closely plant them.
 

What do you think about my experience? How do you grow clematis?

31 comments:

  1. I combine many different clematis on the same structure with excellent results... Larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colors are really striking! Very beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no room to grow clematis, but I'm certainly enjoying yours, with their brilliant colours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love clematises but i don;t grow them to my garden!I don;t have space!
    Yours are so preety and with lovely colours!
    Amazing pictures!Have a lovely weekend Nadezda!Enjoy your holidays!
    Dimi...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nadezda, these are beautiful flowers ! Your garden is magically beautiful !
    Have a nice weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good advice. And the clematis looks lovely

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your clematis are beautiful! They can be moody plants and can even look very healthy and suddenly die the next. I just keep planting them until they decide they want to become established and once they are established, they're very tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Peter, thank you for your advice!

      Delete
  8. Your clematis are beautiful. I would think the only issue with growing clematis together is to make sure the varieties you have together have to be pruned at the same time. If they have to be pruned at different time, it might be difficult to know which is which when they grow intertwined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Alain I have this problem. One of them is to be pruned in spring only not in fall. So I always have to remember about it!

      Delete
  9. Firstly, I love all your clematises Nadezda :-)
    I grow two of mine close together, both are pruning group 3, they are completely entwined after a few months and then they start growing in the camellia when they run out of space. This year they grew so big and dense that I could not reach with anti-fungus spray so sadly they both got badly attacked by mildew. I cut both down in beginning of August and both are growing well again, 'Ville de Lyon' has lots of buds and will hopefully flower again this autumn. But….growing clematis in my garden is slightly easier than in your garden so I can appreciate that it takes a bit more for you to get them through the long winter. I only use slow release fertiliser once a year for all my clematises, nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure your climate is softer than here, Helene. I loved your clematis, they are so big, tall and cover your fence.
      Thank you!

      Delete
  10. You have many pretty clematis Nadezda. I find that clematis never do much the first year I plant them. It seems that they need a year just to get established. After that I find they prosper fairly well with not too much fussing. This year I plant to give all my plants a boost with some compost and manure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree Jennifer. Clematis need some time, year or more to get established. So my three clematis do not blossomed well, I will wait for the next year.

      Delete
  11. Your garden must be lovely from spring to fall! Your clematis have wonderful color. I have seen many clematis vines around here, often against people’s mail box poles by the street. I do not grow them; do they need to be in a sunny spot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As all plants they need sunny place, Vagabonde. Mine are planted in semi-shaded spots, they have morning sun and others have only afternoon sun.If you have much shade in your garden it's better do not plant them. Thank you!

      Delete
  12. Hi Nadezda, I love your clematis, especially the last white one:)
    Generally, clematises hate transplant. Roots of them are very sensitive, so we should take care of not damaging the roots when transplanting them. And there is one more tip for transplanting clematises. We should plant it in a deep hole and cover the soil to the stem, which enables it to sprout in the soil.
    They say it takes about three years to produce many flowers. Hope your crematises will grow healty in your gardwn:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned that their roots are very sensitive, as well Keity. But I dug clematis in spring because I was not sure they are alive.I do hope my clematis are well next summer, thank you!

      Delete
  13. Hello Dear Nadezda!
    I am delighted. Your climatisé are captivating.
    Beautiful photos.
    Greetings.
    Lucia

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have tried with two clematises, but not with great success however. The border I planted them in tends to be wet and cold for long in early spring and this puts them off for some time. I actually lost one and deffenetly should replant the other one. But I'll take your advice and wait until spring with repanting. Your clematises however, look beautiful! This white one is my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Tistou: we have to choose carefully the spot where we want to plant clematis. They like sunny and warm place with deep drainage. Therefor I re-planted my clematis last autumn. Thank you!

      Delete
  15. Hi Nadezda, it took long but I am here again. Wonderful flowers in all these clematises! Your information is very useful for me. I´m going to change a part of the garden this fall and then I have to transplant 2 clematises. I wondered already if that is possible. Your experience is that they survived the winter but it was difficult. Our winters are certainly warmer then yours, so I have to give it a try. I have never planted different clematises together, I almost always combine them with roses, that means they get the same food as the roses and that´s manure in winter, in spring special rose fertilizer and in July 12-10-18 for the last time.
    Wish you happy gardening !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janneke, I wish your clematis winter well in new spot.

      Delete
  16. I only have 2 clematises here, but in the nursing home garden where I volunteer, we do have two clematises growing close together on one side of a trellis. I didn't realize you weren't supposed to do this, so we will have to watch and see how they do. Putting two together that bloom at different times as you did makes sense to me. One of the new ones we planted was 'Jackmanii,' and we have been thrilled with how fast it has grown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, "Jackmanii" grows very fast, I've noticed too, Rose. Now in September it started to bloom (!) and its flowers are very high.
      Thank you!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by Nadezda's Northern Garden blog!
I'm glad to read your friendly comments very much.
Feel free to comment on the posts or photos
I warmly welcome the new followers on my blog.