Thursday, August 27, 2015

Golders Hill Park

           I continue my stories about English gardens I've visited this summer. Golders Hill Park adjoins the West Heath and is on the site formerly occupied by a large house which was bombed during World War II. It was opened to the public in 1898 and has been managed as a historically important park by the City of London since 1989. 
Going up the hill I suddenly saw London's houses, churches, towers. Landscaped grounds were around me containing an expanse of grass and ancient oaks.

 

I'd read a lot about the Golders Hill park so went directly to a duck pond and a small humpbacked bridge above the pond. 



Once I crossed the duck pond bridge I saw families with children feeding ducks, ducklings and geese. Then I went to see a water garden. There were water and bog plants those names I didn't know except poppies, water lilies and irises.


 I loved these flowers, they were everywhere decorating meadow around a pond with yellowish water.


There were many plants growing near the pond and in the water, I realized some of them were new to me. 
The next visit was to a recently renovated small zoo to see animal enclosures, that contains a variety of animals and birds, such as donkeys, rheas, maras, pheasants, ring-tailed lemurs, kookaburras, sacred ibis, big and little egrets, Eurasian eagle-owls and others. I took some pictures of birds and animals those I had seen :


Next to a duck pond the Butterfly House was situated. I'd like to take a look of beautiful tropical species of these fascinating insects but unfortunately it was closed when I came there.


I went back to the hill, sat down on grass and began watching the pictures those I've taken to show you.



There I found wonderful Walled garden, I'll tell in my next post. Stay tuned!

What do you think about such public gardens? 
Did you go to any zoo with your children or grandchildren? 
What do you think when you see birds or animals in cages?





26 comments:

  1. I like the pond! Beautiful park, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely garden, Nadezda! I wish to visit English gardens some day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful park, Nadezda!
    I love your photos, especially those of the flowers - so beautiful! Walled garden sounds interesting...
    You asked some excellent questions. Public gardens are so very important for our well-being. Thank you for sharing these lovely, soothing photos!
    As to zoos, I usually try to avoid visiting them. Very seldom the animals have enough space and correct types of stimuli. I think that nowadays, on films, TV and the Internet, one can see animals in their (more or less) natural environment and that is much more interesting.
    Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you Sara! I was glad that the zoo wasn't big and animal enclosures were enough spacious.

      Delete
  4. Lovely pictures, when I saw them first, I thought where have I seen this before. I know now, I have been there with my daughter some years ago on Hampstead Heath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Janneke, Golders Hill park is a part of Hampstead Heath, the west part. Glad you liked my pictures and they reminded you your visit there.

      Delete
  5. Nadezda, I was in this garden.
    Is awesome. Your perfect pictures show its beauty.
    Greetings.
    Lucia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that you've been to this park, Lucja. I liked it too.

      Delete
  6. When our children were small we took them to the zoo. We have not been for many years. I love that little field of red flowers (poppies?) in the tall grass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jason, they are poppies. I do not often go to a zoo, as well.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful spot. :) I hate seeing birds in cages unless it's a huge open aviary. The blue flowers are campanula and the red tube shaped ones are penstemon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it is penstemon, thank you Tammy. I was wanting to have it in my garden so will look for the seed next spring.

      Delete
  8. English parks and gardens are just wonderful! What a lucky chance to see them in real again! Well done!
    I generally feel for animals in cages, but I think in some zoos, where there is a natural approach, animals born in captivity won't see a difference really. They enjoy themselves.
    I'll be waiting for a next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tistou, I will soon write about walled garden.

      Delete
  9. Precioso parque amiga, donde se puede disfrutar de la naturaleza. No llevé nunca a un zoo mis hijos Nadezda, me gustan los animales en libertad.
    La cosecha de este año no da para guardar nada, la estamos consumiendo según sale ;) mis hijos y nueras están encantados con los tomates :)))
    Buen martes.
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Que bueno, Laura que tu familia come todos lo que crece en la huerta! Es muy bueno para la salud.

      Delete
  10. What a lovely spot to sit and relax. When I visited Northern Ireland, I was so impressed by the gardens and parks that were open to the public.

    In Alaska we have several places where injured animals are rehabilitated and released into the wild. Sometimes they can't be released because they formed a human imprint early in life. In those cases it is nice that they are given a chance at life, and young children and adults can learn from them, but it makes me sad to see them in enclosures if they look bored. However, I know some of those animals for various reasons could not survive in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Mary Anne, I do not go to the zoo, and was surprised seeing this one in the Golders Hill. Of course, in some cases can be when animals feel better in zoo, not in wild.

      Delete
  11. I definitely like to visit public gardens. Their plantings are always so beautiful. Where else do you get to see fields of poppies, etc? This one looked beautiful and carefree, like a real English garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A real English park, you're right Rosemary, it is!

      Delete
  12. I enjoy visiting public gardens; my dream, though, is to visit some of the gardens in England. They always look so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure your dream comes true one day, Rose.

      Delete
  13. Hello Nadezda girl !
    Wow .. they have so much lawn area ... that must be a lot of work to keep trimmed.
    I love that bridge ... I have a thing for little bridges ... they add such character to places .. I wish I could have one here but my gardens are way too small.
    So much wildlife is there .. what a strange place to have lemurs ? .. too bad the butterfly house was closed .. that would have been nice to see. But I am so curious about the walled garden so I am eagerly waiting for your post on that !
    Take care !
    Joy : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was unexpected to me too to see lemurs there, Joy. I'm preparing photos about walled garden for another post.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by Nadezda's Northern Garden blog!
I'm glad to read your friendly comments very much.
Feel free to comment on the posts or photos
I warmly welcome the new followers on my blog.