Friday, October 27, 2023

Wild Mushroom Hunting

 

Edible forest mushrooms are a tasty excuse to spend time in the forest. The forest in which my family and I picked mushrooms is dry and slightly hilly. Pine and birch trees grow here, and there are large boulders. Wild mushrooms - these delicious edible mushrooms are perfect for beginner pickers!

 


There are many different edible species of mushrooms and I want to tell you about Boletus (Boletus), and Chanterelles (Cantharellus)

One of the most popular edible mushrooms is Boletus edulis, which is also called porcini, king Boletus or penny bun. Some of the most popular and valuable of them include king Boletus and bronze Boletus. Many novice foragers begin their mushroom journey by studying these wonderful mushrooms.

 



Boletus, also known as porcini mushrooms grow in the wild. They have a unique fleshy cap and thick stem, a distinct appearance with a fleshy, spongy layer on the cap and pores on the underside. The stem is easily separated from the cap. 


In Europe and Russia, fresh Boletuses are available in summer and autumn. Dried, canned and pickled Boletus mushrooms are sold all year round. I love Boletus soup or fried Boletus mushrooms with potatoes and onions.


Chanterelles (Cantharellus)

There are many different types of Chanterelles. They thrive in moist mixed deciduous forests and coniferous forests in the northwest. Most Chanterelles are golden or yellow in color, as well as some white and blue species. Chanterelles are highly valued in cooking for their unique taste and ease of preparation. They can be fried, dried, cooked in wine and much more!


They taste and smell like fresh apricots, and the aroma is absolutely unforgettable when you go home with a basket full of the harvest.


These yellow or orange, funnel-shaped, fleshy mushrooms are the best-known consumed species of wild mushroom. Some Cantharellus species have a fruity odor and a slight peppery taste. Beneath the smooth cap, these mushrooms have gill ridges that extend down to a stipe (pedicle) that tapers downward from the cap. True Chanterelles have wrinkles or ridges on their stems.

 


I love hunting Chanterelles because there are always a lot of them in one place. In addition, they are rarely affected by pests - flies, slugs, worms. How do I cook them? I usually fry Chanterelles with onions and vegetables, and the cooking time is no more than 10 -15 minutes, because they shrink greatly.

Have you ever picked wild mushrooms in a forest? How do you use mushrooms? 

 

source 

source 

32 comments:

  1. Liebe Nadezda,

    bei uns in den Taunuswäldern oder auch in den Wiesen gibt es viele Pilze, die Steinpilze findet man auch, es sind meine Lieblinge, denn sie esse ich besonders gerne.

    Herzliche Grüße
    von Anke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love porcini (boletus) mushrooms, Anke. They are fragrant when fried with vegetables.

      Delete
  2. There is nothing quite as wonderful as the fresh, earthy taste of wild mushrooms, in a soup or in sauces, of just whole and delicious on a plate. Surely this is one of life’s greatest pleasures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree David. I do love fried wild mushrooms with potatoes. Happy Sunday.

      Delete
  3. Lindos hongos. Se ven muy apetecibles. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The yellow mushroom is really beautiful. It's a miracle of nature.
    I like to walk in the rain, too. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These yellow mushrooms are Chanterelles. They are the purest in nature.

      Delete
  5. I'm afraid of wild muchrooms because it's so easy to pick the wrong mushroom. The only muchroom I pick is Chantarelles. They grow in "my" forest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky that such delicious mushrooms grow near your house, Marit. Happy Sunday.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful photos, Nadezda! Especially the young Boletus look so delicious that one becomes hungry just seeing them.
    Also here these two types of mushrooms are found and I like picking them because they are easy to identify.
    In my original family, we used to prepare a creamy sauce with these mushrooms to be eaten with boiled potatoes but nowadays we also eat them with pasta and in risottos.
    Happy weekend! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara, you are right, Boletus is the most delicious mushroom. I love to pick them too but they are always hiding in the grass or under the leaves :)) “Eat them with pasta and risotto” sounds very tasty.

      Delete
  7. Boa tarde de sábado, com muita paz e saúde minha querida amiga Nadezda. Nunca comi esse tipo de cogumelo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Luiz for your comment. All the best.

      Delete
  8. I'd never have the confidence to eat wild mushrooms - I'd be scared of poisoning myself

    ReplyDelete
  9. These mushrooms are real specimens. I love eating wild mushrooms.
    Mushrooms have not grown in my area in recent years.
    Have a nice, sunny week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wild mushrooms need special soil to grow , Lucja. Perhaps conditions may have changed in your area. Greetings.

      Delete
  10. My dear!
    I have loved picking mushrooms since I was a child :-)) That's why autumn walks in the forest give me so much pleasure. In our area, the most popular are boletus and bay bolete. Chanterelles were quite common many years ago, but we don't see them anymore ;-))
    Warm regards!
    Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita, boletus are very tasty in any dish and I hope you often cook them in autumn. Happy Tuesday.

      Delete
  11. These beings that sprout spontaneously are beautiful!
    What beautiful nature!
    Thank you for your visit and comment.
    Have a good start to the month of November.
    janicce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janicce, I agree nature is beautiful, especially in autumn. Happy Tuesday.

      Delete
  12. Por aquí hay bastante variedad, pero el Boletus edulis es uno de los mejores, también hay champiñones, níscalos etc. Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Genial, Teresa, puedes comer setas riquísimas. Abrazos.

      Delete
  13. Hi Nadezda,
    I would like to be able to pick mushrooms in forest, but firstly I don't know which ones are edible and secondly I live in the city ☹️ sometimes I can photograph them in the parks near my house, or when I go for a walk outside the city.
    Thank you for sharing these beautiful photos, how beautiful Chanterelles mushrooms are.
    Hugs and all the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chanterelles are a beautiful and tasty edible mushroom, Maria. They are environmentally friendly.

      Delete
  14. Hola Nadezda. Precioso post, me encanta recoger setas, aunque solo conozco cien por cien unas pocas y entre ellas están estas. A mi me gustan de todas maneras, con cebolla, con arroz, con pasta. Besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me encanta que te gusten los hongos y los conozcas. ¡Buen apetito, Lola!

      Delete
  15. Gran variredad compartes. Vemos algunos por aquí, y al no conocerlos, solo me fio de los del supermercado.
    Buen martes Nadezda.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tienes razón Laura, si no los conoces es mejor no recogerlos.

      Delete
  16. I always associate the idea of picking mushrooms in the forest with Northern countries. Here in Britain, "foraging" as it is called, has a certain amount of success but all too often people are not really used to the different sorts of mushrooms and make mistakes. I was taught NEVER to pick mushrooms in case I accidentally poisoned myself. I probably missed some great meals that way !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, I agree. If you are not sure whether it is edible it is better not pick this mushroom.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by Nadezda's Northern Garden blog!
I'm glad to read your friendly comments very much.
Feel free to comment on the posts or photos
I warmly welcome the new followers on my blog.