Monday, July 2, 2012

Roses Bloom in the North

   June flew by, we're in July now. The weather is still wet and warm, not hot, it seems that it's spring.
Finally roses bloomed!
Canadian roses were the first, I have two of them: v. "Therese Bugnet" and v. "Martin Frobisher".
The rose "Martin Frobisher" is a tall shrub and its flowers grow at the level of my eyes. 
The light pink fragrant double flowers with yellow eyes at the ends of the stems bloom from late spring to late summer.
This shrub rose is repeat-blooming. I love it, is hardy and resistant to disease.
My small shrub rose "Therese Bugnet"  is covered with pale pink buds. "Therese Bugnet" was introduced in 1950, Alberta, Canada.
 It's the hardiest garden rose, resistant to disease, has fragrant double pink flowers. 
Then the roses of Finnish selection bloomed near the  pond. I have two varieties: "F.J. Grootendorst" and "Pink Grootendorst".
"Pink Grootendorst" is an antique variety introduced in 1923, that originated as a sport of red flowered Dutch variety 
"F.J. Grootendorst". These hardy roses have Rosa rugosa lineage, which explains their ever blooming and tough nature.
The bushes have thick straight spikes and bristles covering the stems and wrinkled leaves. I always touch them with caution. Flowers are small, double, with the number of petals from 5 to 150 and bloom all summer long. 

I think the charm of these roses come from the serrated edges to the petals that look as though they'd been cut with pinking shears.  

My roses of Finnish selection are hardy to - 36 C, the fact is important for Northern gardens.

This v. "Blanc double de Courbet" is a hibrid Rugosa shrub which typically grows to zona 5. Its flowers are strongly fragrant, semi-double, pure white, and bloom throughout the summer.


25 comments:

  1. You have beautiful roses, I don't think one can have to many. I on the other hand only have a few, I am not a good rose gardener so they have to be able to make it on their own.
    Maybe I should be brave and try some more, yours are wonderful and inspires me to think about trying more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! I think "one day in your garden" you'll have too many roses.

      Delete
  2. Your roses are really beautiful. :o) I love the serrated edges. I really like the way the grow by the pond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, thank you! I have some roses near a pond, but my garden isn't the perfect one like in your magazine.

      Delete
  3. "Pink Grootendorst" is so interesting! It looks very much like a carnation in the photos. I've never seen a rose like it before.

    All of your roses are gorgeous. Lovely photography too. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, you're right. It looks like carnation, but is very spiny! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pictures Nadezda, how wonderful to be surrounded by so much beauty. Their perfume must be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosemary! I hope you had a very nice trip, judging by the meals!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Nadezda, I had a wonderful trip and am happy to be home, working on my garden to work off all that wonderful food :)

      Delete
  5. Your roses are BEAUTIFUL Nadezda !
    Of course I have to smile for the Canadian ones being so hardy as well as beautiful .. from Canada EH ! LOL
    I love white roses .. I have a weakness for them, and one of the most beautiful bouquets I had ever received was one from my Dutch neighbor when we lived in the Netherlands .. it was totally in white and green .. no other colour and it was stunning.
    The smell of old roses .. meaning the older varieties is intoxicating .. Zephirine Drouhin and William Shakespeare does that for me .. I love that scent !
    Your roses here have me almost smelling that wonderful rose aroma : )
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, I'm very glad you love the smell of roses. White roses aren't easy for growing, at least I think so. In my garden
      a few bushes (not Canadian!) of white roses did not survive the winter in the years 2005-08. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous flowers, Nadezda. And it would seem that your Canadian flowers opened first.. on Canada Day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Hilary! yes, my Canadian roses know this holiday and try to start blooming!

      Delete
  7. Your roses are lovely Nadzda, so healthy. I cannot imagine temperatures down to minus 36° Celsius, minus 10 is enough for me. It must be so hard to find plants that survive in such difficult conditions. How hot is it in summer? Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christina, we have not -36C in winter, the lowest was -28C (only!). The roses of Finnish selection were introduced for all areas of Finland, even in the far north. The summer temps in S. Petersburg are usually +26-28 C. Thank you!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful roses! I love all those old fashioned looking and wild looking roses, like in that last picture. I used to live up in Alaska, and we had wild roses growing that looked a little like those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indie, you know well the cold winters in Alaska and hardy roses! I bought specially these hardy and they didn't upset me. Thank you!

      Delete
  9. Nadeza your pink roses are just beautiful. I am always looking for cold hardy and disease resistant ones. Thanks for the posting and sharing your roses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lona!I'm glad that my experience helps you!

      Delete
  10. Nadezda, these are some of the most beautiful roses I have ever seen. The color is breathtaking. You are lucky to have such beautiful roses in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sage! I think there are many beautiful roses and mine are the best suited for the Northern garden.

      Delete
  11. You have some very lovely roses, and I am glad you are enjoying all the blooms and fragrance. Thank you for the pictures, I enjoyed them very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Masha, there are many stunning roses in your garden and these roses are modest and unpretentious for a cold winter here. Thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  12. Nadieżdo!
    I'm so happy for having responded to my comment.
    You made me great joy.
    I hope that you will be welcome on my blog.
    Greetings from Polish.
    Beautiful roses!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lucy-maria

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by Nadezda's Northern Garden blog!
I'm glad to read your friendly comments very much.
Feel free to comment on the posts or photos
I warmly welcome the new followers on my blog.