Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Vernal Flowers: What to Choose?

At the end of September, I usually plant bulbous flowers. There are my favorite little bulbous flowers that I often buy in autumn: Pushkinia, Chionodoxa and Crocus. Recently I've been to the Garden center and could not pass by bulbs of Chionodoxa. It was pink one and I bought it in spite of the grown price.


I grow some purples, blues, whites, light pinks. Here are this spring Chionodoxa blossoms:


It's elegant, short bulbous plant with basal leaves that appear simultaneously with the spike. Usually leaves are two, dark green. Flowers are bell-shaped, consist of six petals, 4 cm in diameter.


Wild Pushkinia is found in wet rocky slopes, alpine meadows and among bushes, is very decorative.
Puschkinia hyacinthoides is growing in my garden. I love it, is adorable little plant with pale blue or almost white flowers.




Strong stalks of about 15 cm and have oval inflorescence. Flowers are with a bright blue stripe on the petals.



Of course, many of you have crocus in your gardens. Usually they are blue or purple. But I really love white crocus and it was my another purchase at a Garden center - a package of white crocus bulbs, although I have some white ones:



Did you buy or order any bulbs for the next spring season? What do you prefer?


21 comments:

  1. They are so beautiful! Something that I have never seen the real here. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos of beautiful flowers, Nadezda. Your garden must look lovely during all seasons.
    I have bought two packets of tulips and one of rose lilies, but haven't planted them yet.
    Thank you again for your comment on my post! I'm always looking forward to them. The plant in the first photo of red leaves is Parthenocissus inserta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to have rose lily as well, Sara. I'm looking for them in garden center , hope I can purchase them. Your Parthenocissus inserta is unusual, I grow Parthenocissus quinquefolia. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. I do not buy spring bulbs because we have so many squirrels and chipmunks and they think I've planted a smorgasbord just for them. Yours, however, are quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, these squirrels and chipmunks, Judy. Fortunately here no chipmunks, and squirrels are not many of them..

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photographs. I love all spring flowers, they are always welcome after winter. We have been buying narcissus tulips and crocuses too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine how nice your garden is after winter, Sue.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful little bulb flowers Nadezda, I have them too, but have not bought new ones because there are already many of them in the garden, except tulips. Tulips I have to buy every year because I cannot keep them in the garden, I just bought a bag with 100 tulips in various colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You live in the country of tulips, Janneke. All first varieties of them are from Holland and I remember Keukenhof garden with lots of tulips and daffodils. I think your garden is very nice in spring!

      Delete
  6. I’d love some Pushkinia. I have never seen them in the garden centres here and don’t know if they are available.

    I am changing parts of the garden and there is one place, where I am going to move perennial flowers and small spring bulbs would be perfect for it

    I’ll have to get a move on before the season gets too cold..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Friko! Pishkinia is a little magic, very tender and nice. Here we can buy its bulbs grown in Holland, not expensive.Every fall I do the same: changing and moving plants, ha ha.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for your kind comment on my blog! Oh I prefer bulbs, I have ordered so many. I particular prefer bulbs in combination with perennials. Dreaming of colour combinations..... Next month the bulbs will be delivered. Groetjes,
    Hetty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hetty, I love color combination as well. But often I forget where and what colors I planted, so I need to be more organized :((

      Delete
  8. The Pushkinia and Chionodoxa are both really lovely, I have to remember to plant some next year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic photos of beautiful flowers !! I have to remember the names of these flowers to plant next year !!
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  10. No se puede escoger una son todas preciosas!!!
    Un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Nadezda!

    Beautiful spring flowers.
    I admire them for another half year.
    Nadezda, I have to boast.

    My blog is visited by very many unknown friends in your country.
    I am therefore very very happy!

    Greetings from Poland.
    Lucia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by Nadezda's Northern Garden blog!
I'm glad to read your friendly comments very much.
Feel free to comment on the posts or photos
I warmly welcome the new followers on my blog.