Monday, October 16, 2017

GBBD Mid-October 2017


Autumn is rainy and windy, some days are sunny but cold. I had needed to put on more warm clothes working in the garden and greenhouse. Yesterday I prepared tubs of dry soil and packets of special cloth to cover tender plants. What is flowering in mid-October?
The huge hydrangea grandiflora blooms as mad but soon it'll be pruned and all gorgeous heads will be used to make a dry bouquet and a wreath. Sedum is succulent I think to cut its flowers to dry them as well.



Ligularia przewalskii leaves turn to dark red, its blossoms faded earlier in September. Near Ligularia some nasturtium and hostas grow till snow. 


In the shady corner Helenium autumnale blooms. It's a tall plant that flowers in late autumn, under rain and cloudy sky. Despite the weather Helenium autumnale is so colorful.


Actinidia kolomikta is a liana that grows on the trellis and produces soft and sweet tiny 'kiwi'.


I always pick up Actinidia berries when they are solid, later they mature at home and get soft. I've found some raspberries near the garden shed, probably I forgot to pick them up. It's a pleasure to eat some sweet berries in October. 


The plum tree harvest isn't abundant this cold summer and autumn. I do hope to freeze 3-4 containers of plums.


I've left some redcurrant berries for birds and as a rezult birdies have eaten many of them. I like that redcurrant berries don't crumble and hang on a bush a long time.
The Canadian roses bloom in early summer and there are a lot of their hips in autumn.


I don't know if the birds eat rose hips. It's said vitamin C is in there. This cool summer the apple trees "had a rest" so an apple crop is quite a little.


Only some apples are seen on the branches. I tasted one - it's sweet and juicy.  Parthenocissus quinquefolia leaves are of nice red color, its berries are green, they are not edible for people and maybe for birds too.


Some veggies are still growing on my raised beds despite on cold nights and please me with bright greenness.


The juicy salad leaves and coriander goes well to tomatoes. Surprisingly coriander plants bloom white flowers in October.
Crocus Colchicum sprout leaves only in spring and then disappear till autumn. In October Colchicum is in bloom with pink and purple flowers, butterflies enjoy this autumnal crocus.






Well, geese fly away to south places. Happy October!


42 comments:

  1. Wow, your hydrangea is gorgeous! The blossoms on mine all faded some time ago, though I still like them that way and enjoy seeing their dried blossoms during the winter. Your Sneezeweed is so colorful; every year I tell myself to plant some, and then I always forget. Enjoy these last lovely days in your garden, Nadezda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha Rose. Every year I recollect where Helenium was planted... In October I finally find it:) My Hydrangea due to cold summer started blooming very late so is in bloom till now.

      Delete
  2. Happy October to you, dear Nadezda! Your photos are gorgeous...and I love watching geese in flight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Надежда,красивый осенний сад! Яркий ,вкусный..А гортензия метельчатая розовая? очень красивая!
    Увидев крокусы подумала,что это безвременник,,шикарный осенний цветок.У меня был ,пропал.
    Птицы красиво летят..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Гортензия метельчатая сорта Грандифлора, в начале цветения зеленая, потом белая и осенью розовая, Надежда. Это на самом деле безвременник или Колхикум. Растет весной, а цветет осенью.

      Delete
  4. Las flores todavía se ven preciosas. Feliz semana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Todavia si, una-dos semanas y se desaparecen, Teresa.
      Buena semana!

      Delete
  5. Hi Nadezda! Lovely garden. Frost and rain have not yet destroyed flowers and plants in your garden.Have a nice day;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately we had no frost till now Anne. But it's raining almost every night.

      Delete
  6. There is still a lot to discover in your garden. I like the changing colours of the leafs. What I also like are the birds flying away. It is an excellent idea to fly to warmer places. Who’s I could go too! Groetjes Hetty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Hetty, it's a wonderful idea to move south when winter comes to your place. I'd love to!

      Delete
  7. In our country they say: 'When geese fly in a 'V' frost is coming soon...'. Your Colchicums are doing so well, I tried them several times without success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Colchicums grow well in one place only Janneke. There soil is drier and higher. I wouldn't want winter to come soon, maybe I haven't seen other 'letters' of geese.

      Delete
  8. This is interesting! Your zone is at least 1 month behind our garden zone. I harvested apples already about a month ago. Due to spring frost I had no plums this year. Asters and chrysanthemums are blooming now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Sigrid, my zone 5a and harvest is late this year. I picked up 2-3 kg of apples and cooked 'Charlotte' pies. The harvest was enough for 2 pies :-)

      Delete
  9. Your hostas still look to be in good condition.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is still a lot of colour in you garden, Nadezda! Hopefully it will keep another week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much beauty in your garden also in October, Nadezda!
    Your hydrangea is gorgeous. Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara, hope this beauty lasts till November.
      Thank you!

      Delete
  12. Hi Nadezda. I love your hydrangea and autumn crocus and the photo of the single leaf at the end just screams fall is here. There is still much beauty in your garden. Happy autumn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Lee, fall is here with rain, wind and cold. Hydrangea is in bloom but next weekend I'll cut it, forecast is first frost is coming.

      Delete
  13. Bellissimo l'Helenium, non ho mai avuto questi colorati di arancione! Sono magnifici anche i tuoi colchicum, non ho mai provato a piantarli, forse ne compro uno sperando che venga bene come il tuo!

    Buona serata :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, helenium is colorful, especially now in autumn. If you plant some colchicum in your garden, they are easy in growing.

      Delete
  14. Aún tienes cosecha para recoger Nadezda. Las verduras se ven muy bien y también as flores que están preciosas.
    Volviemdo a la rutina después de un verano muy movido.
    🎀 🌷 Te dejo esta lazo rosa. Hoy es el día mundial del cáncer de mama.
    Un fuerte 🙅 de💗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, gracias por tu Lazo! Tengo una pequeña cosecha, pero utilicé todo lo que recogí.

      Delete
  15. It is beautiful autumn in the garden, Nadezda. With some fruits still. Nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, Tania, todavia hay algunas frutas y verduras.

      Delete
  16. You do have lots of blooms in bright colors! I have never tasted Actinidia berries. Judy makes an excellent plum jam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love plum jam too, Jason. I've never cooked Actinidia berries I think they are good to eat fresh. Enjoy Judy's jam!

      Delete
  17. I enjoyed seeing what you still had growing in your garden. Enough for you to make some meals. I used to cook the dark red plums and freeze when I had that tree in my last garden. It's nice to have kiwi fruit. I read they contain much vitamin C
    Hope you will still have some sunny days for a while yet.
    Happy days Nadezda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love eating kiwi fruit, they are sweet, Betty. These days we had first frost, thin ice covered my pond. I was lucky to deep the baskets with water lilies earlier, last year the poor things weer frozen in ice.
      Happy spring Betty!

      Delete
  18. Olá, belas fotos sobre o outono das lindas cores e das flores, assim como, a imigração das aves para o sul, a natureza é bela.
    Feliz semana,
    AG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Si Antonio las aves vuelan al Sul, es otono.
      Gracias!

      Delete
  19. Olá, passando para ver as novidades.
    Lindas as imagens.
    janicce.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello dear Nadezda!Glad to be back after all those months!
    You have a fantastic garden with very beautiful flowers and plants!
    Pretty Autumn colors and images!
    Have a happy week!
    Dimi...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Dimi! I'm glad too that you're here with us!
      Sure you have a lot to tell about your news, happy week!

      Delete
  21. Lovely post Nadezda. I was always fond of the Ligularia which grew in our Aberdeen garden in a shady spot.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful photos. I picked a few raspberries today - what a treat. But, winter is fast approaching. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by Nadezda's Northern Garden blog!
I'm glad to read your friendly comments very much.
Feel free to comment on the posts or photos
I warmly welcome the new followers on my blog.