Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Fritillaria meleagris


I learned that the name of the plant comes from the Latin word fritillus - a chessboard; it is given due to the variegated coloring of some varieties of flower resembling a chessboard. According to another version, the name comes from the Latin name for a cup or vessel for playing dice and is associated with the shape of the flower.


 The wiki said the plant has many common names in different countries, they are: snake's head, chess flower, frog-cup, guinea flower, leper lily, Lazarus bell, chequered lily or daffodil, drooping tulip, etc.
What do you call this plant?



Over time, eyes get tired of the brightness and pretentiousness of many garden flowers. And fritillaria has a calm color of bell-shaped flowers: white, brown, yellow, green, purple, besides it is remarkably complemented by the elegance of the whole plant. I grow two species of Fritillaria: meleagris (chequered) and involucrata (white specie)



Under the ground fritillaria has a bulb where nutrients accumulate. They support plants during dormancy and at the beginning of the growing season. The shape of the bulbs is very diverse, most often elliptical. 


I love to wait for the start of plant growth that begins in spring with an abundance of moisture in the soil. In a short time, the plant forms a stem, leaves, blooms, forms a new bulb. In June it freezes until the next season.
At this time the bulbs can be dug, transplanted, stored, forwarded. In late summer or early fall fritillaria begins underground stem growth and root formation.
What is your experience in Fritillaria growth?

33 comments:

  1. Hello Nadezda!
    I have known this plant since I was a child because my aunt had it in her garden. I liked it a lot, and here we call it chessboard lily and lapwing eggs. I think this plant has a lot of names!
    I like it very much, and I have a many of the white form.
    Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Marit, you've know this flower since years. Sure your plants are pretty,
      hugs!

      Delete
  2. Whatever the origin of the name it is a gorgeous plant and one that I am sure you are happy to have in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No la conocía Nadezda y me ha gustado. La rosa está guapa a cuadros.
    Buen miércoles. Cuídate.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Si esta flor es bonita, Laura.
      Gracias y un abrazo!

      Delete
  4. I don't know how we call it. hmm Maybe chess flower. :) Really beautiful flowers. Dear Nadezda, how I love to sit on my balcony full of flowers, I love to touch them gently, I love smell them, just observe. :)
    Have a nice day, all the best for you. :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's no problem if you do not know its name, Agnes. I'm sure your balcony is beautiful and you enjoy seeing your flowers and feeling their fragrance.

      Delete
  5. Es una flor muy bonita, yo no la tengo. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful "variegated goblet-lilies", Nadezda! :)
    That would be a translation of our "kirjopikarililja".
    Happy midsummer! Stay safe and well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, what a good translation from Finnish! Yes, they have a similar shape.
      Kiitos and happy Midsummer to you too. Centuries ago, people believed that fern blossoms tonight and jumped over a bonfire. Have traditions changed in Finland?

      Delete
  7. Fritillaria meleagris is a pretty plant and thank you for sharing the information about it. I like how the name was derived as the pattern looks like a chess board. This was an interesting and informative post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked my post and information about a plant, Lee.
      Have a nice Sunday.

      Delete
  8. Hello Nadezda and what pretty Spring blooms they are !
    I think I may have tried the Honey Garlic plant but not this one .. they are very interesting and something to look forward to in Spring .. we all need a bloom that draws our attention don't we ?
    Very nice ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we do Joy. I'm glad you are here and you liked these flowers.
      Take care and stay healthy.

      Delete
  9. Удивительно прекрасные цветы. Такие нежные. Интересно, какой у них запах?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Спасибо Лола что заглянули ко мне.
      Фритиллярия не пахнет, она радует своим появлением ранней весной.

      Delete
  10. Very nice photographs, I do like fritillaries.

    Happy Summer Wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warm greetings to you too, Jan
      stay healthy!

      Delete
  11. Dear Nadezda,
    they are so wonderful. Love them.
    Happy summer days
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had not thought a great deal about this plant, which I know as "snakes head fritillary". I didn't even know there was a white version. I find that i like the white one better - the interesting design of the pink one draws attention away from the beautiful shape of the flower. I will see if I can buy some white ones for next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also like the white variety the most and it has been with me for many years. Checkered variety was purchased three years ago, and this is its first flowering.
      You could grow fritillaria on a balcony in a pot, Jenny.

      Delete
  13. The fritillaries in your garden are beautiful, Nadezda!
    Have a nice weekend!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the information. I really like the way you express complex topics in lucid way. It really helps me understand it much better way. fritillaria bulbs

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by Nadezda's Northern Garden blog!
I'm glad to read your friendly comments very much.
Feel free to comment on the posts or photos
I warmly welcome the new followers on my blog.