Thursday, August 26, 2021

My Collection Of Impatiens

I have a small collection of Impatiens. I want to show it and tell about the different varieties of these plants in my garden.

A bit of history. Since the 19th century, people have known Impatiens because these unpretentious flowers bloomed on the windowsills of many houses.

Waller's Impatiens, double, Fiesta variety.  

Their flowers, towering above the leaves, create the impression of a bouquet.  


Fiesta variety

In Russia people called Waller's Impatiens 'Wet Ivan'. The plant received this name for the droplets of sugary liquid that protrude at the edge of the leaf. 

For abundant and long flowering, the plant received the English name of "Busy Lizzie". The Austrians call it 'Beautiful Viennese girl', comparing a flowering plant with a beautiful girl. 

 

 Waller's Impatiens, single, pink

 

 

Waller's Impatiens, single, white with red center

Waller's Impatiens' flowers are irregular, red white yellow or bicolor, simple or double. They are single or collected in loose inflorescence. The fruit is a juicy, oblong, multi-seeded capsule that opens with five curling leaves.

 

Here are Garden Impatiens or Balsamina Impatiens, or touch-me-not.  An erect annual plant of a pyramidal or spherical shape, up to 70 cm in height. 

Garden Impatiens, pink

Stems are branched, break easily. The flowers are large, irregular, simple or double, from white to purple.

Garden Impatiens, red
 
Also known as rose balsam or garden balsam, blooms in June - September. The fruit is a capsule with brown seeds. The original fruits, when ripe, "explode" at the slightest touch, scattering seeds at a distance.
 

Garden Impatiens, purple

Waller's Impatiens are my favorite indoor plants. Every year I take them out into the garden and they bloom well outside. I love to decorate containers, hanging baskets and flower beds with them. 
 
Fiesta varieties (Impatiens walleriana Fiesta®). These perennial plants have very decorative double flowers of various colors (more than 16), there are variegated forms. Due to their resistance to cold, I plant them in open ground. 
 
 
Waller's, Fiesta variety, double

 

Impatiens New Guinea, they have large flowers of various colors that bloom throughout the year - white, red of various shades, lilac, pink. Leaves of intense color from bronze to bright green.


 
Impatiens New Guinea (Impatiens hawkeri), single, purple

I grow all of my Impatiens in tubs. Outdoors they can be placed even in a fairly dense partial shade, since it is undemanding to lighting. But I don't do this.

Have you ever grown the Impatiens in your garden? What's your experience?

 

   

 

35 comments:

  1. Hi Nadezda!
    I'm so impressed over all your impatiens, and your knowledge about them! They are so beautiful, and I think Waller's, Fiesta variety double is my favorite. I don't have any of them, but I have tried them earlier. They need a lot of water, and that's the only "problem" with them.
    In Norwegian they are called "Flittige Lise", and that is the same name as "Busy Lizzie" :)
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Marit - Impatiens need water. This summer I watered them like all other plants. and they grow in mid-shadow place.Fiesta variety is my favorite as well.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely collection of impatiens you show us. I only knew the low ones, but the Garden Impatiens look very nice too.
    Some years ago used to have them in pots. I don't why I stopped - I'll remember them next year.
    Lisbeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Garden Impatiens grow slowly and bloom in late summer Lisbeth.I used to have my own seeds, but Garden Impatiens still bloom and don't have seeds.

      Delete
  3. Hola Nadezda. Maravillosa colección, son muy bonitas y están preciosas. Los cultive en alguna ocasión, enhorabuena. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lola, me encanta que te gustan mis flores.
      Un abrazo!

      Delete
  4. This year for some reason we don't have Impatiens in the garden this year, but most years we do. They are bright and colourful and pretty much take care of themselves. Yours look terrific, Nadezda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree David Impatiens take care of themselves. They only need watering.

      Delete
  5. Oi miten kauniita ja kauniin värisiä ahkeraliisoja.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Anemone it's not easy to grow impatiens.
      Kiitos!

      Delete
  6. Me gustán las plantas de tu jardín. También yo cultivo algunas plantas en mis patios y en la terraza.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boa tarde minha querida amiga. Sua coleção é maravilhosa, acho que só conheço as da nona foto. Obrigado pela excelente matéria.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love impatiens, I planted some out on a bed in the garden and the wood pigeons trampled them down,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your collection of impatiens is wonderful! Enjoy it a lot.
    Have a nice weekend!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woooow
    Dear Nadezda, you have beautiful strains of impatiens. I admire the wonderful flowers and your wonderful photos.
    Hugs and greetings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked my collection and photos, Lucja.
      All the best!

      Delete
  11. Hi Nadezda,
    What a great and beautiful collection of Impatiens. I have one in a vase on my porch.
    The photos are amazing, I especially liked the Fiesta variety, they look like little roses.
    A big hug, and all the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Maria, Impatiens Fiesta look like small roses. I love them as well.
      Sure your flower in a vase is beautiful.

      Delete
  12. Son todas preciosas. Tuve varias de ellas ( ahora mismo tengo una ) pero no se me dan muy bien. Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, las impaciencias son fáciles de cultivar. Pero necesitan más agua que otras plantas.
      Un abrazo!

      Delete
  13. Wonderful flowers, I love the impatiens. This year i didn't plant any, but usually i always plant some in the gaps of the flower beds, they are very grateful. Your collection of impatiens is wonderful.

    Greetings from Germany
    Anke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anke, I think your beds are beautiful with impatiens growing there.
      Thanks for stopping by and your comment.

      Delete
  14. Always lovely to see photographs of your flowers, such beautiful colours.
    We have some impatiens in tubs, they have done well this summer.

    Wishing you a happy September, the year is passing by so quickly.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Jan, this summer Impatiens have done very well, are tall and colorful.
      Happy September to you to.

      Delete
  15. My dear!
    I admire your beautiful and diverse collection of Impatiens. I do not have much experience in growing these flowers, because this spring I planted three Impatiens in shades of pink New Guinea for the first time. It was a very pleasant surprise for me that to this day they still look great in pots and bloom healthy and profusely :-))
    I wish you as much warm sunshine as possible for you and the plants in your beautiful, well-kept garden!
    Hugs! Anita

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by Nadezda's Northern Garden blog!
I'm glad to read your friendly comments very much.
Feel free to comment on the posts or photos
I warmly welcome the new followers on my blog.