Sunday, October 6, 2024

Gooseberry Bush

In August there was a good harvest of gooseberries in the garden. There are thorns on the bush, and I tried not to hurt my hands, I usually wore a blouse with long sleeves. I try to lift the branch with my left hand and collect the gooseberries with my right. This way the branches prick less.

Maybe someone does not know this plant, so I want to tell you. Gooseberry is a small shrub up to 1-1.2 m high, the branches are grayish, covered with thin needle-like thorns. The fruits are berries, oval or spherical, up to 12 mm long (sometimes up to 30-40 mm), bristly. Green, yellow or dark red. Ripen in July–August.

 


Gooseberries are native to Western Europe and northern Africa. As a wild plant, it is widespread in Central and Southern Europe, North Africa and North America. It grows among bushes on rocky mountain slopes. It is grown everywhere in gardens.

 


 

The common gooseberry is one of the main berry bushes. I like to eat them fresh or use them to make jam, jelly, marmalade, and some people make wine from gooseberries. I also freeze gooseberries and they retain most of the vitamins. This is a good preparation for the winter.

When I pick gooseberries, I determine how ripe the gooseberries are, so I squeeze the berries. The ideal berry is not too hard, but retains its shape and elasticity. I have bushes growing with small red and yellow gooseberries. Small berries ripen earlier.

 



Currently, at least 1,500 varieties of gooseberries are known, which are cultivated in all temperate countries. Unfortunately, gooseberries are often attacked by pests.

Do you like to eat gooseberries? Have you grown this bush?

 

My video. Park roses:

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by Nadezda's Northern Garden blog!
I'm glad to read your friendly comments very much.
Feel free to comment on the posts or photos
I warmly welcome the new followers on my blog.