Monday, September 14, 2026

Has summer really ended?

Has summer really ended already? It certainly seems so. The vibrant flowers have finished blooming; the dahlias, delphiniums, lilies, and roses are gone. Now, the flowerbeds are adorned only by sedums with their tiny, bright red blossoms.



 

 

Young fruits have appeared on the raised beds, nestled among the large zucchini leaves. They are beautiful—striped, dark green, and some yellow. I love young zucchini because they have no seeds. I usually fry them or stew them with sour cream; it makes for an excellent dish. 

 

The vegetable harvest began in July and August. Green peas were the first to ripen; their pods had grown large. I harvest the green peas to make a side dish and freeze some of them for the winter. 

 

In September, the last of the phlox are still in bloom. I enjoy their vibrant flowers and their fragrance. It is a pity, though, that the petals fall off quickly when they are in a bouquet.

 

The peppers began to ripen in late August. The weather has turned cooler, especially at night, so I decided to harvest all the peppers and let them finish ripening indoors. They are currently sitting on a pantry shelf, gradually turning red. 

 
 
As it happened, the tomatoes went without watering for nearly two weeks. Despite this, they ripened beautifully. They are sweet and juicy; I plan to use some of them to make tomato sauce. I blend them, boil the mixture, add spices, and then pour the sauce into jars.  
 
 
 
 
 
 
The white hydrangea blossoms turned pink in late August and early September. 

Autumn has arrived—another beautiful season. 
 
Friends, I will try to visit all your blogs as soon as possible. All the best.
 

36 comments:

  1. Your garden has done very well, Nadezda, despite the obscene heat it has had to cope with. Your peppers are ripening nicely. Sadly, hot summers are probably a permanent feature of your climate now. Humans too will have to learn to deal with it. Best wishes - David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your phlox is very beautiful, Nadezda. I like them very much.
    I hope it's not autumn yet. It feels cool in the morning now, but quite warm during the day. Bloggers are having major problems because the blog lists aren't updating. Take care, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no problems with blogger, Marit. I love phlox too.

      Delete
  3. Może lato się kończy ale jesień w ogrodzie jest równie cudowna ♥ Pojawia się więcej miedzianych kolorów oraz dostajemy ostatnie warzywa. Miłego dnia!
    Angelika

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liebe Nadezda,

    Du hast reichlich ernten können und Dein Phlox ist ja ein Traum. Bei uns sind die Temperaturen noch sehr angenehm, alles ist noch in voller Blüte, es gab etwas Regen (nach wie vor allerdings viel zu wenig) und wir können viel Obst und Gemüse ernten, ich muss auch noch nichts reinholen.

    Spätsommerliche Grüße
    von Anke

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boa tarde minha querida amiga Nadezda. Obrigado pela visita e comentário. Sua colheita foi maravilhosa. Aqui na maior parte do Brasil, estamos no inverno. Uma excelente tarde de quinta-feira, para você e seus familiares em São Petersburgo e um grande abraço do seu amigo carioca.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It’s a shame the roses have already finished blooming at your place, but your garden still looks lovely. Thanks for the tip about the zucchini. I’m going to make that for dinner today—I have some nice homemade whole-grain bread to go with it... and fresh dill :-)))
    It’s wonderful to harvest from the garden.
    Sending you warm regards. I hope you get plenty more warm sunshine before the cold weather sets in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Viola, I think the homemade bread is wonderful. Hugs.

      Delete
  7. Buenos días, Esperanza.
    Por aquí aún seguimos y seguiremos con temperaturas veraniega hasta por lo menos finales de Octubre, aunque un poco más benigna. Tu jardín sigue precioso y tu cosecha por lo que veo en tus fotografías ha sido estupenda, ahora solo queda el disfrutarla y saborearla, que como tu bien sabes lo que siembra uno mismo, nos sabe siempre a gloria.
    Un cordial saludo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Manuel, a mí también me encantan las verduras de cosecha propia. ¡Que disfrutes del verano!

      Delete
  8. Bellas plantas. Buen fin de semana. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your garden remains beautiful.
    Good harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Nadezda! The harvest from your garden is beautiful. It is getting colder by the day, and the green beans, zucchini, and cucumbers have stopped growing. The tomatoes aren't turning red.
    I wish you a beautiful and warm week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lucja I hope you will harvest veggies in last warm days.

      Delete
  11. Por aquí todavía está haciendo mucho calor, ya estamos cansados. Estoy deseando que llueva y refresque. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Teresa, quiero enviarte un poco de clima frío

    ReplyDelete
  13. We often wait too long to pick the courgettes/zucchini.. They seem to grow enormous in minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a lovely post Nadezda. Flowers and shrubs look pretty
    and vegetables will keep you going through the cooler weather.
    It is still cold in the mornings here in Melbourne, but the temperature is beginning to warm up during the daytime. I think you will probably be busy cooking and preserving soon. Take time to rest when you can.
    Kindest regards,
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Betty, I’m always happy to see your comments on my blog and to know that you read it.
      Thanks for the kind words; of course, right now it’s important to preserve the harvest for winter. I’m trying to get some rest—thanks for your concern.

      Delete
  15. L'estate sarà finita ma il tuo giardino è lussureggiante! La verdura è perfetta, complimenti!

    Un caro saluto e un augurio di buon autunno!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grazie, Gabrielle, presto anche l'autunno lascerà il segno in giardino.

      Delete
  16. Panicle hydrangeas changing from crisp white to deep pink as the nights cool down is my favorite part of early fall. Fresh tomato sauce made straight from the vine has a sweetness you just can't buy in a store. Fry up those young zucchinis with a little sour cream, because that is pure comfort on a chilly evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Melody. I love fresh tomato sauce it's better than can buy. Thank for your advice.

      Delete
  17. Buena cosecha has tenido. Nosotros este año, el huerto hue malo. Preciosas flores . Ojalá termine el calor Nadezda, este año ha sido muy caluroso..
    Te deseo un buen otoño.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Qué bien que todavía haga calor donde estás, Laura; me encantaría tomar el sol. Aquí la temperatura no ha subido de los 12 °C. Los últimos calabacines aún están creciendo.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by Nadezda's Northern Garden blog!
I'm glad to read your friendly comments very much.
Feel free to comment on the posts or photos
I warmly welcome the new followers on my blog.