Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Clematis in August



Clematis 'President'

The unusually hot July has ended and if you believe the weather forecast August will also be hot here in St. Petersburg. Will there be rains? It is to be hoped that clouds will fly over my garden and fill the barrels with rainwater.
Clematis decorate the garden, I'm glad because last year in cold winter my six Clematis died. I was very upset, especially for 'Jackmanii' variety, it was so tall and flowered for 2 months without ceasing. Last autumn I bought the 5 new, they wintered in the greenhouse, covered with earth.

Clematis 'Blue angel' Viticella


Clematis 'Blue angel'

Clematis began to bloom in June, first with single flowers. In July, with the onset of very warm weather and rare rains, their bloom pleased me every day. In the morning when I walk around the garden to see how my plants are, I always love touching bright Clematis flowers and praise them for their beauty.


Clematis 'General Sikorski'


Clematis 'Justa'


Clematis 'Jackmanii'

Clematis 'Jackmanii' is the most unpretentious and well wintering plant. It survived in the cold winter and blossoms for the fourth year, decorating the gazebo. Some gardeners do not like its very simple flowers. I love this variety (somebody calls it 'Maltese cross') because there are no problems with 'Jackmanii'.



Clematis 'Rouge cardinal'

I think my clematises will get strong this summer, will well overwinter. Usually in late autumn I cover their roots with a thick layer of dry leaves to keep them in warmth in cold and snowy winter.

Clematis 'Blue angel'

What is your experience in Clematis growing? 

28 comments:

  1. We’ve lost quite a few clematis over time and others have thrived. I’m not sure what has made the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know as well, Sue. Some of clematis were planted in a good place, but had died, others grow near the basement, windy place and thrive.

      Delete
  2. The weather in our northern regions is getting hotter each year. It was 29 degrees again here today. Fortunately we did have a little rain recently so it does not look quite so brown everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, you're lucky. We still have no rain, but I'm waiting for, today is +29 C.

      Delete
  3. Your clematis is stunning, Nadezda! I love them all, and wonderful colors!
    The weatherforecast is warm weather here too for August.
    My clematis have managed well this summer, but I have given them much water.
    I wish you a nice August!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, Marit they need more watering because of many blooms. Glad you liked their color, my favorite is 'Blue angel' with so tender color.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful clematis. I like the colors

    ReplyDelete
  5. Son todos preciosos. Yo tengo tres y dos están en flor, el calor también les afecta bastante. En estos días se esperan temperaturas de 42 a 45 grados. Besitos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Que calor, Teresa! Yo no pudiera aguantar tanto calor. pero tus plantas pueden y florecen.

      Delete
  6. Hello Nadezda !
    Your clematis are gorgeous and we actually share a few .. The President, covers my dead lilac tree like crazy and it was beautiful but it finished over three weeks ago .. early summer heat/sun forced many of mine to bloom like crazy rather fast this year. Romantika, was fabulous though .. so dark and pretty ! but I need to transplant a few that have been left in the darker side of the garden. Clematis do require work and care .. I have neglected mine, so seeing how fabulous yours are has inspired me to get mine in order this Fall so I will have better results next Spring.
    Well done (sorry about your loses from last winter .. we share THAT too !)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Joy, clematis require attention and care. I can imagine how nice your lilac was covered with clematis flowers. And yes, with heat all blooms finish faster.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. First I can sing the same song like you, Nadezda!
    It nearly never rains - since April!!! Too try and hot, also around 30°C.
    I have only one Clematis which climbs and has a lot of leaves, but every year only a few blossoms. Should I try it with another type or another place.
    Anyway your Clematis look wonderful, Nadezda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigrid, it's terrible to have no rains since April. I think the soil looks like a stone, doesn't it?
      I tried to move clematis to another spot but it didn't liked and has been weak a long time.
      Glad you liked mine.

      Delete
  8. The clematis in my garden come and go. Some stay for years, but not all. I guess you have to buy new ones now and again. Yours look fresh and seem to thrive well. Chapeau! Groetjes Hetty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, Hetty. They come and go away. But they're so beautiful!

      Delete
  9. Your clematis look so lush and beautiful. Mine don't seem to grow as well as yours does. I do have a Jackmannii clematis that is very hardy and beautiful. It is my best one. I also have Blue Angel. Like yours it has beautiful blooms but it isn't as tall and full as yours. You must have much better soil than I have. I love clematis. They are such cheerful vines and don't try to take over the entire garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love Jackmanii and Blue angel, Lisa. The Blue angel is new to my garden and its wintering is a challenge.The garden soil is old swamp, so I have to add sand and compost before planting something.

      Delete
  10. Your Clematis are so beautiful! I have one in a pot that will get planted when the temperatures cool off a but in our neck of the woods. I hope it ends up looking as good as yours do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How beautiful! Have a nice new day Nadezda!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Надежда,прекрасные клематисы!Такие все разные,цветы красивые,,названия клематисов интересные,звучные..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Названия клематисам дают их производители :-). Я специально подбираю клематисы, чтобы цветки были разного цвета, Надежда. Но обидно, когда они не переживают зиму...

      Delete
  13. Espectaculares, preciosas fotos Nadezda y preciosos Clématis. Feliz semana. Besos-

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by Nadezda's Northern Garden blog!
I'm glad to read your friendly comments very much.
Feel free to comment on the posts or photos
I warmly welcome the new followers on my blog.