Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Tagetes and Tomatoes.

I want to tell you about Tagetes, commonly called African marigold, Aztec marigold, American marigold or big marigold.

 

Tagetes are easy to grow from seed. Almost all seeds germinate and after a week I already saw small plants. This year I planted them in a greenhouse. And I did the right thing - because the cold was around 0 C in May. Young seedlings of Tagetes could easily freeze out.

 

Perhaps some of you prefer to buy grown seedlings in the garden center or in the supermarket. This is a good option too, just do not rush to plant seedlings in the garden because of the cold weather.


I like that growing Tagetes from seeds you can never be sure what color the buds will be. They can be yellow, red, orange, or a mixture of all shades. See what a variety of colors the Tagetes have in my flower beds.

 


Here is what the garden encyclopedia writes: All parts of this unique annual have a taste and smell reminiscent of tarragon, but much nicer and stronger. Moreover, the aroma is felt at a considerable distance. Blooms profusely all summer. It can be used in flower beds of any type. Grows well in limited soil. It stays cut for a long time. Heat-loving, unpretentious, drought-resistant.

 


What is the Tagetes called in your country? Here they are called Velvet flowers. 

Last week I picked ripe tomatoes, very juicy and sweet. And the smell!

 



Tomatoes ripen quickly. There is a little secret - they do not need to be watered at all during mating. Now even for breakfast I have red juicy tomatoes. But I need to figure out how to keep them fresh longer. 

What experience do you have with keeping tomatoes fresh?


 

26 comments:

  1. You have got many tasty tomatoes this summer, Nadeza. I have harvested many tomatoes today. Many of them was green. I wrap them in newspaper and put them on the kitchen counter. I put tape on the newspaper so the tomatoes are in completely dark. After a week or so they have turned red. The Tagetes are called Velvet flowers here too. Many hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have green tomatoes too, Marit. I left them in the greenhouse until the end of September. But I'm afraid the weather will get cold. Then I, like you, put the tomatoes in a dark and cool place. Thank you for your advice.

      Delete
  2. Has recogido muy buenos tomates. A los Tagetes aquí en mi pueblo los llamamos claveles chinos. Abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Que nombre interesante, Teresa. Gracias, un abrazo.

      Delete
  3. Lindas flores y que tomates más grandes. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The flowers look gorgeous and the tomatoes are fat and juicy, Nadezda. I don’t think it gets much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, David, the tomatoes are ripe and juicy. I'll make tomato paste to use as a ketchup.

      Delete
  5. Your tomatoes look great, Nadezda. We also can still harvest a lot of fruits.

    I haven't had any Tagetes in the garden for a long time, I don't know why, they let them seed so easily.

    Hugs
    Anke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anke, hope you your crop is great as well. Tagetes is an easy plant to grow.

      Delete
  6. ОООО! Помидоры шикарные. Моя подруга кладёт лепестки бархатцев в рис. Заменяет дорогой шафран.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Не слышала что бархатцы заменяют шафран, Лола. Надо попробовать!

      Delete
  7. Boa tarde de quinta-feira minha querida amiga Nadezda. Flores maravilhosas. Tenho colhido tomates aqui no meu quintal. Um excelente mês de setembro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you also grow tomatoes, Luiz. Happy September.

      Delete
  8. Hi Nadezda,
    Tagetes are such colorful and beautiful flowers, I remember seeing them in my grandmother's garden.
    Here they are called "cravos-da-india"
    Excellent harvest of tomatoes.
    All the best my friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked my flowers and my crop, Maria. It's lovely name of tagetes in your country. Hugs.

      Delete
  9. I have heard too much water is not good for tomato's taste, dry condition makes good tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree, RTC. My tomatoes are delicious and meaty. Hugs.

      Delete
  10. Hi Nadezda-Your Tagetes are beautiful and add so much color to the garden. Here they are simply referred to as Marigolds and are often planted to repel mosquitoes. Your tomato crop looks amazing and delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, glad you liked my tomato crop. Hugs.

      Delete
  11. Hi Nadezda! I forgot to sign in before! Your Tagetes are beautiful. Here we refer to them simply as Marigolds and they are often planted to repel mosquitoes. You have been very successful with your tomato crop. They look amazing and delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, I know this name for tagetes, and it is also a feminine name. Am I right?

      Delete
  12. Kauniisti kukkivat samettiruusut ja maukkaan näköiset tomaatit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked my tagetes and tomatoes, Anemone.

      Delete
  13. Hola Nadezda.
    Yo no se como mantenerlos frescos más tiempo y me gustaría, aquí me maduran y los preparo en salsa. Los taguet son bonitos y fáciles y una planta maravillosa para tener en la huerta. Besos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. El problema con los tomates siempre es cómo mantenerlos frescos. Es complicado. Los tagetes florecen brillantemente en otoño cuando otras flores se marchitan. Un abrazo, Lola.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by Nadezda's Northern Garden blog!
I'm glad to read your friendly comments very much.
Feel free to comment on the posts or photos
I warmly welcome the new followers on my blog.