Saturday, July 9, 2022

Rhododendrons, June Flowering In My Garden

 Several varieties of rhododendrons started blooming in mid-June in my garden. These are already mature plants, they are 14 - 10 years old.  

It is a miracle of colors and shades. Happiness for pollinators of all kinds. A little later, azaleas will begin blooming.  

All plants are bred and grown in the Finnish nursery 'Mustila', so they are very frost resistant and winter well in the garden without shelter.

Let's take a look at the June flowering.

 

Rhododendron hybrid 'Pekka'


 Rhododendron hybrid 'Helsinki university'


 

Rhododendron hybrid 'Haaga'

 

Rhododendron catawbiense 'Grandiflorum'


 

Rhododendron hybrid 'Northern daughter'


 

Rhododendron hybrid 'Piter Tigersted'



These beauties delight me from mid-June to today. In the morning I watch which rhododendron blooms, which one opens its buds. There are already many photos, it is difficult to choose to show you the beauty of these plants.  

Azaleas started blooming as well, I have 2 frost-resistant varieties: Mandarin Light (red) and Northern Light white-lemon).



Do you grow these bushes? What varieties do you grow? Which one of mine do you like best?

20 comments:

  1. Rhododendrons bring back very happy memories for me of a visit to the Himalayas many years ago, where several varieties grew in profusion. It was wonderful to see them in their native habitat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're lucky to be in the Himalayas, David. It is very far from us and high in the mountains. Rhododendrons also grow in their natural environment in the Kuriles and Kamchatka. There they have small leaves and flowers. Therefore the hybrid varieties are more popular.

      Delete
  2. Hi Nadezda,

    They are all so beautiful! I like your 'Piter Tigerstedt' very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Marit, this variety is nice with its spot on petals.

      Delete
  3. Your late varieties of rhododendrons and azaleas are beautiful. thank you for giving us the names. I will search in garden nurseries.
    Hugs and greetings, Nadezda:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucja, these varieties are hardy that is an important condition for me. They winter well in any weather without covering. Perhaps you will find them in a Polish nursery.

      Delete
  4. Hola Nadezda. No puedo elegir ya que me encantan todos, son preciosos. En mi tierra crecen bien, pero yo no tengo ninguno. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lola, puedo entenderte porque amo todos mis rododendros. Siempre espero a que florezcan. Un abrazo.

      Delete
  5. Hello Nadezda ! I only have one azalea and it is almost a neon bright orange but I love these more subtle colour especially the white with red markings. There are reblooming types that peek my interest .. wouldn't it be wonderful to have them bloom more than once ? I wish I had room for them !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, I have one cultivar that reblooms, it's Cunningham white, and I think the second bloom weakens the plant. The first bloom is not as abundant as it should be.

      Delete
  6. Se ven tan preciosos, aquí no consigo que crezcan. Besos y feliz semana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Teresa por gustante mis plantas.Besos.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful and healthy varieties of rhododendrons! I really like their colors. My bushes have already faded. I didn't enjoy them for long, because the whole June was extremely hot in Poland!
    Best regards :-))
    Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita I'm sorry your rhododendrons didn't survive the hot weather. Mine grow in a shady place, with occasional sunlight and I often watered them.

      Delete
  8. Te dejé un comentario y no lo veo, seguro que esta en spam. Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tu comentario está aquí, el blogger es indignante.

      Delete
  9. Boa tarde minha querida amiga Nadezda. Difícil escolher a flor mais linda.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Nadezda,
    Wonderful flowers. Your garden must be a little paradise.
    Thank you for sharing these beautiful photos that colored my day.
    Grettings and a big hug

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Nadezda, wonderful Rhododendrons and Azaleas!
    I too have Pekka, Helsinki University and Haaga. They are all smaller than yours. My latest purchase is St Michel (Mikkeli). I like how it grows, very compact.
    Your Northern Light azalea looks lovely. It makes me think of a lemon meringue pie. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by Nadezda's Northern Garden blog!
I'm glad to read your friendly comments very much.
Feel free to comment on the posts or photos
I warmly welcome the new followers on my blog.